Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helix Ultra 5w40 is a relative bargain in Oz. Not much more expensive than the US price.

M1 0w40 is a HUGE bargain in the US compared to the Oz price. Its 3x-4x cheaper.

The UK is similar. But at least there there are opportunities to get store brand and major brand synthetics at US like prices.

Indeed, there were recent deals at Halfords and ECP that had ACEA synthetics at $2-$3 a quart. In Oz you have to settle for dino at that price point.

Helix Ultra is a good price in Aus, but so is Synpower 5w40 (LL-01). If anything the Synpower is usually cheaper yet it goes mostly unnoticed.

The only oil out there for $2-3 is either from Costco or an on special house brand 15w40 with obsolete API specs.

I am blown away by this oil. It has been running in my dad's X5 the last few months, but I just came home and got to experience it last night. It had been running on the BMW 5W-30 since new until the last change. Even though Castrol oils are generally pretty good in terms of NVH, I am shocked how much smoother and quieter this oil has made the engine, especially after a cold start at 10F/-12C. There's something about Shell oils (and Castrol to a lesser extent) that make them excel in NVH. I experienced the same when I went to Rotella T6 from M1 0W-40 in my car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I am blown away by this oil. It has been running in my dad's X5 the last few months, but I just came home and got to experience it last night. It had been running on the BMW 5W-30 since new until the last change. Even though Castrol oils are generally pretty good in terms of NVH, I am shocked how much smoother and quieter this oil has made the engine, especially after a cold start at 10F/-12C. There's something about Shell oils (and Castrol to a lesser extent) that make them excel in NVH. I experienced the same when I went to Rotella T6 from M1 0W-40 in my car.

Strange, my S62 sounds the exact same on M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40. Both were quieter than the BMW 5w-30
21.gif

Just an FYI, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 is now available in Advance Auto stores.

The oil thats in my local store is dated 12 November 2013 and still has the API SM label.

Originally Posted By: DougL3NC

The oil thats in my local store is dated 12 November 2013 and still has the API SM label.

That is good to know!

My stores show special order at $9.59/qt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI

My stores show special order at $9.59/qt

I'd guess you are in a different region, store-wise. It's all over the southern piedmont of NC.

I'm going to run this in my M52TU.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

Strange, my S62 sounds the exact same on M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40. Both were quieter than the BMW 5w-30
21.gif

Sounds like common theme, BMW branded oil is junk. I'd stay away from Castrol as well, made my bimmer knock hard. XOM and SOPUS know what they are doing.

Whenever I read a post saying that a fully to-spec oil is bad because of something related to engine noise, I feel like I'm hearing someone say a nice restaurant is bad because of the waiters' name tags or something.

I meant what I said. Aside from extreme cases like bad lifter tick, there's no clear relationship between the perception of engine noise and the performance of engine oil.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I meant what I said. Aside from extreme cases like bad lifter tick, there's no clear relationship between the perception of engine noise and the performance of engine oil.

True, but the oils being discussed meet not only BMW's performance specs but also those of MB and Porsche
wink.gif
This may mean they are better than the branded lubricant IMHO, this is regardless of what oil is louder or quieter, which as you've noted means basically nothing.

My autozone has both PU 5w-40 and PU 0-w40 now. Had never seen the 0w-40 anywhere, didn't know it existed....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does it ever go on sale at AZ?

Not sure. Hopefully there will be some sales coming up sometime?? Although I have to say that usually AZ "sale prices" don't impress me too much. Guessing it might get down to ~$6/qt with a filter deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back