2011 GMC Terrain AWD SLT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Y`all! I`m picking up this suv next Thursday. Trading in my Lexus for it. I really like the way it drives (the GMC)and I wanted an American vehicle. Now for the big question......Ready?? What oil should I use?
laugh.gif
Oh, almost forgot, it has the 3.0L V-6 and optional 19" wheel`s. black/Black

Last edited:
Dexos approved 5W30. Maybe a blend or full syn of your choice. Don't go crazy on the oci since it's a DI engine. Might even do a uoa at 6-7k miles, just to check that engine and go from there.

Salesman said (like they know) that it takes regular 5W-30 oil. I will know when I get it home and look at the owners manual. However, if it does take reg. oil (meaning not Synthetic) I saw on the board here a while back that Valvoline White Bottle did very well in a GM DI motor.

Use Dexos1 cerified 5W-30.

Curious on why KS suggests longer OCI on a DI engine. DI tends to tear up an oil with fuel dilution in general. Maybe GM DI tech is way ahead of everyone else?

Salesmen suck. Dino or syn will be fine. You can stretch your oci's with syn. What mileage do you typically see and driving habits?

Originally Posted By: Danno
Use Dexos1 cerified 5W-30.

Curious on why KS suggests longer OCI on a DI engine. DI tends to tear up an oil with fuel dilution in general. Maybe GM DI tech is way ahead of everyone else?

[censored], I didn't imply 10k.

I had a 2011, it was a great driving vehicle, I liked it a lot. The OLM will go off ever 4-5k miles. I used Pennzoil Dexos from Wal-Mart in it.

Congradulations!
My good buddy has an '11 Equinox though, only the 2WD 4 cyl. Nice vehicle and much quieter than LEXUS. Impressively Quiet in fact! Articles that I have read said...the the NOX is quieter than the Caddy CUV that is built on the same chassis and maybe the quietest CUV on the market.

NOX's Doors close much more solid, ride is more controlled and handling is sharper. IMHO, they really got this right! I haven't driven the V6 version, only the 4 cyl's. Nice!

Lot's of blind spots though
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Salesman said (like they know) that it takes regular 5W-30 oil. I will know when I get it home and look at the owners manual. However, if it does take reg. oil (meaning not Synthetic) I saw on the board here a while back that Valvoline White Bottle did very well in a GM DI motor.

Manual calls for 5W30 Dexos. However it allows for API w/ Starburst if no Dexos is available so I wouldn't be too concerned, myself, about having to use a Dexos oil.

As another poster mentioned the DI engines are rough on oil so even with synthetic I wouldn't go too long. I would probably only do 3K with conventional in a DI and do 5K OCI's with a synthetic.

I think a good choice would be to order some Kendall GT1 synthetic from PSC and run that for 5K OCI's. It isn't Dexos certified though if that matters. Kendall does offer a GT1 Dexos formula and it is pretty cheap through PSC. Another good choice.

I like the looks of the Terrain better than the Equinox. Congrat's on the new ride. Nice rig.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Salesmen suck. Dino or syn will be fine. You can stretch your oci's with syn. What mileage do you typically see and driving habits?

Lot of short trips unfortunately. And some highway.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Congradulations!
My good buddy has an '11 Equinox though, only the 2WD 4 cyl. Nice vehicle and much quieter than LEXUS. Impressively Quiet in fact! Articles that I have read said...the the NOX is quieter than the Caddy CUV that is built on the same chassis and maybe the quietest CUV on the market.

NOX's Doors close much more solid, ride is more controlled and handling is sharper. IMHO, they really got this right! I haven't driven the V6 version, only the 4 cyl's. Nice!

frown.gif

Thanks char baby.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Manual calls for 5W30 Dexos. However it allows for API w/ Starburst if no Dexos is available so I wouldn't be too concerned, myself, about having to use a Dexos oil.

As another poster mentioned the DI engines are rough on oil so even with synthetic I wouldn't go too long. I would probably only do 3K with conventional in a DI and dOCI's with a synthetic.

I think a good choice would be to order some Kendall GT1 synthetic from PSC and run that for 5K OCI's. It isn't Dexos certified though if that matters. Kendall does offer a GT1 Dexos formula and it is pretty cheap through PSC. Another good choice.

I like the looks of the Terrain better than the Equinox. Congrat's on the new ride. Nice rig.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks NHHEMI.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Congradulations!

frown.gif

Thanks char baby.
smile.gif

You're Welcome!
I shouldn't have said..."lots of blind spots!"
It depends on what you're used to. I am still used to our '01 RX, '04 Altima, both or which have quite good visibility all around.

The Standard Equinox/Terrain have quite a few standard featrues allowing them to be priced in the mid $20K to the upper $30K range and hold quite a good resale value.

Each time I ride in my buddy's NOX, I am a bit envious as to it's quiet interior compared to our RX. The RX isn't loud per/say, just not this quiet
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back