Pricing a "like new" snowblower...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to keep this general, and I'm sure the correct answer is "it depends", but I'd like some feedback on how I should price a practically new snowblower I'm selling. My mom bought a 8 hp 28" MTD made blower, made one pass and decided it was way too much machine for her, so asked me to sell it.

I've had it listed on CL for a couple weeks at 25% off retail price. That puts it about $300 higher than what seems to be the going market rate on more tired/rusty machines from 15-20 years ago. I haven't had one inquiry, and we've had a couple decent snowstorms.

I just want to make sure I'm not crazy on how I priced it. Is 25% off new retail price a reasonable price to ask, or should I consider discounting further? I know the snow blower market’s up and down through the winter, and I really don’t want to be sitting on this thing come March. But I also have an obligation to get as much for it as I can for my mom.

I'd appreciate any general thoughts!

What does "new retail" price mean? I would see what the cheapest on sale 28" snowblower was at Menards, Farm/Fleet... wherever, and knock 100 off of that. Problem with knocking 25% off of "new retail" price is that in a few weeks every single store will be doing the same (or more).

I guess you can't advertise it as "new" but I'd at least put "new this year" in the title.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, new equipment is like a new car. The moment you use it (even once) the machine decreases in value. I agree with the above poster that all stores will soon be doing the same and knocking down the prices.

How much are you asking for it?

I find that including pictures as well as a video of the machine running in the ad helps sell it.

A 28" is not a small machine. Even though its been used can she return it saying its too difficult for her to use? Maybe pay a restocking fee. Talk to the store manager if it was bought within the last month or two.

You need to see what the sale prices are and be less than those, not the normal retail.

Like it or not the machine is used and I do not believe has a warranty that can be transferred. As a buyer of something used, that is important.

I would try for $750 and take $700.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
What does "new retail" price mean? I would see what the cheapest on sale 28" snowblower was at Menards, Farm/Fleet... wherever, and knock 100 off of that. Problem with knocking 25% off of "new retail" price is that in a few weeks every single store will be doing the same (or more).

I guess you can't advertise it as "new" but I'd at least put "new this year" in the title.

"Like new" is the best term.

Seems like everyone with a snow blower or generator wants 100% of what they paid for there stuff back when they sell. Doesn't matter how old or new it is.I'm not saying your asking too much, but from what I've seen recently the larger blowers aren't in that much of a demand. They cost more, are larger to store, and if you live in an area where you might not get alot of snow, people have a hard time justifying the cost for one. And like your Mom, if you can't handle the beast, it's useless to you. Keep it posted on CL with as many pictures as you can because this is the best time to try to sell it.,,

"new retail price" really meant what Menards is selling them for. In this case, that's $799 and I'm asking $600. Since I listed it, they did start their 11% off the entire store promotion, so you could walk out their door with one and a warrenty for $710. So, I'm still $100 under that sale price.

It may be a Menards only model, since the MTD website only shows Menards as a place to buy them. But I guess there's probably other comparable MTD models I should price check at Lowes, HD, etc...

Unfortunately, her window to return this thing has passed. It was a purchase late last winter, and it sat in her garage over the summer. I'm not sure what she was thinking with the purchase - it's a lot of machine for a 66 y.o woman - and she has a long gravel driveway. I'm just trying to help her get out from under it.

I do have pics, but can throw a video on as well.

Last edited:
You've got to drop the price faster than the calendar moves. Mention receipts and warranty.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
bottom line what did she pay for it and what are you asking for it.

No - bottom line is what is the best sale price on a new one and what are you asking for it? What she paid is really insignificant.

I'd put 500$ on it.. its a mtd not an ariens or other more coveted brands.

if you dont price it to sell now in 4-6weeks you will be competing with all the stores trying to move their winter items for spring stock.

in which case you will then have to go 400$ because it will be near-off season and competing with clearance items.

the best time to sell those is about mid-october to early dec.

Originally Posted By: Rand
the best time to sell those is about mid-october to early dec.

...or right before a predicted 16" snowstorm arrives.

Do you have any way to deliver it to the buyer?

For some people, that's a huge issue. This is an item that isn't "cash and carry" for most people. You could make the purchase a lot easier for the buyer, to offer to deliver it for free within 25 miles.

If you have the ability to deliver it and are willing to deliver it for free, I'd put that in the ad as well.

Free delivery is good but you have to make the buyer come look at it and buy it first. They get flaky when you bring stuff to them as they haven't invested any time or effort yet.

The way this winter is in the northeast, there could be a shortage of blowers. The lead time on them is longer than a season so when they're out, they're out. Look at Pablo running into snow tire shortages for his new car. This would benefit your sale price.

The market speaks, you just have to listen. Try adding or best offer on your listing. Even at retail, I can usually get another 10% off at Lowes or Home Depot so a year older and maybe saving $50 with no warranty isn't really worth it. For used, I normally want at least 25-50% off what the out the door price is after all sales/rebates.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Free delivery is good but you have to make the buyer come look at it and buy it first. They get flaky when you bring stuff to them as they haven't invested any time or effort yet.

Yes... after the buyer has looked at it, and has at least left a cash deposit with the seller.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I did go ahead and include an option for free delivery within 30 miles, but will require full payment before loading this beast up and transporting it.

And I definitly get that it's worth what the market will pay - I just want to make sure I'm pricing it in a range where both sides are getting a fair shake. I'd told mom I'd drop the price by $50 a week until we get a buyer, but I've also got no need to fire sale this either. I guess we'll see what happens in the next 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed!

I think $500.00 would be a good price and take the first 450.00 someone gives you thats all it's worth.

Well, I got it sold. Mid 500's. Figured a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, especially with spring clearance coming up quickly for new snowblowers. Appreciate the input everyone - I've bought and sold a lot of older OPE on CL, but never something along these lines.

It's really scary how much stuff depreciates when you drive it off the lot. I'm going to continue to stick to buying and running old iron, which is usually better built than new OPE anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back