This is why we can't have nice things ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do people actually buy new cars and then drive them on the salt roads?

I suppose we could just stay home?

I drive a lot, espcially in winter. My "new" car (my Cobalt) already has 160,000 miles. I do however have a classic that stays in the garage safe and dry all winter though.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do people actually buy new cars and then drive them on the salt roads?

We have no choice. There's no public transportation and the job's 25 miles away. If I could take a warm bus in a reasonable amount of time/cost, I would. Instead I have to spend 4 hours a year rustproofing both cars and $1000 every 4-5 years on snow tires.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Pushing 50 degrees in the IL today. I washed the Sonata in the driveway. Then some interior cleaning and the garage floor got a washing to rid itself of the piles of salt that fell off the car over the last month. By Monday morning we'll be back below zero.

I try to keep the washing up to 5-6 day schedule, but sometimes it's just too cold to do so.

Most of the time the salt depth > snow depth.

You wash the car when it's only 50 degrees ?

If you are going to wash your car during a midwest winter, that's generally as good as it gets.

TX DOT has begun to spray the bridges with Magnesium Chloride.

It has some sort of adhesive in it to adhere to the bridges.

I wonder how long until our cars start to resemble New England cars?

You wash the car when it's only 50 degrees ? That's too cold to do anything outdoor for So Cal people. I only wash my cars when it's in the 70's or warmer, less than 70 then wait for few days.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
If you are going to wash your car during a midwest winter, that's generally as good as it gets.

Depending on the wind, I can comfortably wash down to 45 degrees or so. I usually use warm water with the soap, so my hands don't get that cold.

Lower than that is a car wash. You can use those probably until about 15-20 degrees. The water freezes on the car too quickly below.

Any lower than that, I don't think the salt is doing to much to the car. Everything is pretty much frozen solid on the car and elsewhere.

In the IL, the neighbors ask you to wash their car too. In So Cal they probably call the police for the extreme water wasting you're doing.

You guys haven't seen anything yet. Just got back from driving about 550 miles in the salt today. Half an inch of salt plastered all over the front of the truck, and the roof, hood, windows, are all covered in salt.
frown.gif

Photo-0025_zps8385b6e7.jpg

Pretty much, unless they are garaged in the winter!

Than when the roads dry the front of the car gets sand blasted on the highway!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Pushing 50 degrees in the IL today. I washed the Sonata in the driveway. Then some interior cleaning and the garage floor got a washing to rid itself of the piles of salt that fell off the car over the last month. By Monday morning we'll be back below zero.

I try to keep the washing up to 5-6 day schedule, but sometimes it's just too cold to do so.

Most of the time the salt depth > snow depth.

You wash the car when it's only 50 degrees ? That's too cold to do anything outdoor for So Cal people. I only wash my cars when it's in the 70's or warmer, less than 70 then wait for few days.

LOL I only wash in the winter if its warm enough so the water doesn't freeze on contact!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
TX DOT has begun to spray the bridges with Magnesium Chloride.

It has some sort of adhesive in it to adhere to the bridges.

I wonder how long until our cars start to resemble New England cars?

Oh yeah pre treat. The OTR trucking industry hates that stuff, turns big rigs to dust in a few years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I keep my 2008 F-150 Harley Davidson Edition parked during the winter months to avoid it being exposed to salt. With the price of trucks nowadays I don't want to be buying another one anytime soon!

What's different about the HD edition F-150s? Does this mean they leak oil? Lol, just kidding...

I don't know why they can't quit using salt and change to something that isn't corrosive....I know there are other things available that'll work just as well and aren't corrosive....maybe they cost too much? Don't know?

Well, first order guess says, if it's not corrosive, it's probably not good at eating down through the ice. Ok, there shouldn't be a correlation between ability to melt ice and the ability to eat metal, but it's not quite surprising that a more aggressive ice-eater is somehow a better metal eater. After all, it's the gov giving the green light to use the stuff...

I'm not really surprised that the gov is ok with ever stronger ice melters. The average consumer has indicated, for decades, that they are ok with buying new vehicles every few years. Today with ever increasing vehicle safety and emissions standards you might even say, all but mandatory continous improvement in the fleet? Today we don't like when weather intrudes, we don't like weather stops business and the making of more dollars. The costs of dumping more and more salt means keeping the economy going. Spending a dollar here means making two over here, that's a net win.

At least until it's time to replace bridges. Not sure that economic cost is being contemplated.

"The AVERAGE consumer has indicated, for decades, that they are ok with buying new vehicles every few years."

That's a lot like saying "the AVERAGE resident (denizen?) of New York City sees no real need to purchase a car (or a garage space or a parking space or get a driver's license, etc.)"

What that has to do with someone who has a 20 mile each way commute and no access to Publicly funded trains, busses, light rail, streetcars, etc. is beyond me.

More like the AVERAGE village idiot (and "it takes a village...")!

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I keep my 2008 F-150 Harley Davidson Edition parked during the winter months to avoid it being exposed to salt. With the price of trucks nowadays I don't want to be buying another one anytime soon!

What's different about the HD edition F-150s? Does this mean they leak oil? Lol, just kidding...

Different leather and stuff. Appearance package like the "King Ranch" they sell down here (gag).

2002-2004 HDs were the only way to get the Lightning motor in a crew cab truck.

Maybe we should make our cars out of MEAT. Salt is an excellent preservative of meat. ROFLMAO.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Maybe we should make our cars out of MEAT. Salt is an excellent preservative of meat. ROFLMAO.

Yeah, and we'd have feral cats, wolves, and coyotes following us everywhere!

salt_zpse90917e1.jpg

Hubs are good for salt build up because the brakes heat up the middle and evaporate off water, leaving salt behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back