4.6 Lincoln 32v Engine Into Old Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seriously conidering swapping a Continental 4.6 into a delapidated '85 Ford Country Squire. That engine is going surprisingly cheap in the salvage parts market, and I figure one could possibly even pick up a donor car reasonably for the engine, ECM, and harness. Opinions/advice welcome.

Don't bother with the Continental motor. The blocks are specific to the FWD application. Look for a Mark VIII instead.

The Continental engines are so cheap because they are useless for engine swaps.

What exactly is different? I know the mounts are different, as are ex. manifolds. I think the FWD engines int. manifold could work, even though it would be at the rear of the engine compartment. This car can be made to fit the engine, if you get what I'm saying.

There is a company that makes a bell housing adapter plate to mount a RWD trans to the FWD block. My question is, how much would a RWD engine go for? If the price is much higher than the FWD engine, might the price of the adapter plate plus mount change offset the difference? Seems as though the mounts could be swapped to accomodate the RWD platform.

I thought the 32V engine showed up in a few other vehicles?

The front drive ones are cheap because they were hooked up to a transmission that could barely handle a 3.0 pushrod V6 and Lincoln's rear air suspension didn't last too long.

You are going to end up with a bunch of unforeseen problems, added costs and probably an incomplete project. I myself would look for a carbureted 351 Windsor or a 302, rebuilt or otherwise. Keep in mind to that you would have to hook up an electric fuel pump to feed that 32V 4.6L, which is additional cost/headache. If you do manage to install that 4.6L, wire the ECM properly, hook up a fuel pump, install adapter kit for transmission your end cost will probably surpass that of a decent quality rebuilt. Just my
49.gif

Reality is an engine block that won't fit your bell housing. Followed by a bell housing that won't mate with your transmission. Followed by a driveshaft that has to be custom made. Not to mention water outlets on the block that don't line up with the radiator, computer systems that are not compatible with the transmission or instruments. I wouldn't want to be the first guy to do a new engine swap.

If serious about this swap I'd be looking for a MK VIII that had been T-boned, rear ended or maybe parked on it's top... It would have virtually all the components you'd need including the 4R70W trans that will keep the ECM happy...

I dunno about the MK VIII but the MK 7s with 5.0 & AOD used a longer trans than found in other passenger cars, there's a possibility the D/S would need to be shortened...

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Reality is an engine block that won't fit your bell housing. Followed by a bell housing that won't mate with your transmission. Followed by a driveshaft that has to be custom made. Not to mention water outlets on the block that don't line up with the radiator, computer systems that are not compatible with the transmission or instruments. I wouldn't want to be the first guy to do a new engine swap.

Ford auto trans of the last 25 years or so have the bell cast onto the case...

This swap will be painful.
You will need the dash harness,both fender harnesses and likely the body harness.
I did a 4v swap in my 2000gt. Got everything from an 04 Mach 1. It was the most painful experience I've ever had and will never do it again. All in I had 10k into the swap.
I coulda bought the whole car for a few dollars more.
Stick with the Windsor options. Less pain,more gain.

If you are going to do it, use a Mark VIII engine as others have stated. Also, I'd probably go carb if you want to keep it on the cheap. A crank-trigger ignition and a carb swap will be a lot less of a hassle and probably a lot less expensive than wiring it all up for EFI.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you are going to do it, use a Mark VIII engine as others have stated. Also, I'd probably go carb if you want to keep it on the cheap. A crank-trigger ignition and a carb swap will be a lot less of a hassle and probably a lot less expensive than wiring it all up for EFI.

If the wiring harness is anything like a MK VII I'll agree... It includes the ABS system, air suspension, engine control, lighting, etc in the underhood harness... Plus it's about 8-10 ft long, as it travels down the left fender apron, wraps around the radiator support, back up the passenger side and into the passenger compartment... I bought one for a 5.0 swap into a 4 cyl Turbo Coupe T-Bird and wound up just using the engine(actually only short block)... Luckily I found a Screaming deal on a '87 5.0 T-Bird with blown 5.0 that donated it's harness and all the little things needed for this type swap... Those included motor mounts, throttle linkage, A/C compressor & lines, AOD shifter, plus it had a fresh radiator, battery, alternator & starter(all in a $100 car)... Luckily the ABS & ride control harness are a separate harness in the TC, still I had to build a interface harness to connect the 5.0 engine harness to the Turbo Coupe body/chassis harness...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

If the wiring harness is anything like a MK VII I'll agree... It includes the ABS system, air suspension, engine control, lighting, etc in the underhood harness... Plus it's about 8-10 ft long, as it travels down the left fender apron, wraps around the radiator support, back up the passenger side and into the passenger compartment... I bought one for a 5.0 swap into a 4 cyl Turbo Coupe T-Bird and wound up just using the engine(actually only short block)... Luckily I found a Screaming deal on a '87 5.0 T-Bird with blown 5.0 that donated it's harness and all the little things needed for this type swap... Those included motor mounts, throttle linkage, A/C compressor & lines, AOD shifter, plus it had a fresh radiator, battery, alternator & starter(all in a $100 car)... Luckily the ABS & ride control harness are a separate harness in the TC, still I had to build a interface harness to connect the 5.0 engine harness to the Turbo Coupe body/chassis harness...

Yeah, I went through a similar mating issue when I swapped the 302HO into my '88 F-250. I used the harness from an '86 Mustang. Was a lot simpler than trying to do the Mustang gauge cluster though, LOL!

Originally Posted By: Red91
I've been seriously conidering swapping a Continental 4.6 into a delapidated '85 Ford Country Squire. That engine is going surprisingly cheap in the salvage parts market, and I figure one could possibly even pick up a donor car reasonably for the engine, ECM, and harness. Opinions/advice welcome.

You sir, are a very brave and daring soul! Keep us posted on this one please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back