MoS2 testing - sound levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave5358
Don't have moly or don't have MoS2? Do you have some secret inside information on the LiquiMoly product line? Please share it with us.

No MoS2, and if I recall correctly, some even had no moly whatsoever. It's not inside information, at all. There are plenty of VOAs and UOAs posted here over the years. I came across that tidbit when researching oils for my old Audi.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Secret inside info:

There, I got beaten to it.
wink.gif
1 ppm moly is essentially no moly, so it's clear that at least some of their oils have no moly at all.

Liqui-moly has a 10w-40 grade that has mos2 as part of the additive package. I've seen and used the pruduct. The oil pours out just as black as the additive so I'm sure it's mos2.
The fact that the label also says mos2 is a dead give away as well.
As far as moly in their formulations I recall their hdeo's have little to no moly of any sort in them. The passenger car oils vary depending on the spec they meet.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Liqui-moly has a 10w-40 grade that has mos2 as part of the additive package.

There, that makes sense. Considering how many different oils they market and how many different specs they aim to meet, it wouldn't surprise me that additive levels and packages are all over the place.

I do recall that Bob Fout did a bunch of VOAs some time ago with various European grades. I knew I saw a VOA of one of their products once, but it was a while back.
wink.gif

Secret inside info:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2377569

And your point is?

Oil analysis does not disclose the form of molybdenum in use. Some companies reveal what they are using... others do not. For some of Liqui-Moly's products, they are quite clear as to the form of molybdenum in use. For example MoS2 Leichtlauf 10 W-40. For other products, you might contact the company, but they may consider the information proprietary.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Secret inside info:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2377569

There, I got beaten to it.
wink.gif
1 ppm moly is essentially no moly, so it's clear that at least some of their oils have no moly at all.

You might wish to clean your spectacles and re-read the oil analysis report. The molybdenum level was 221ppm, compared to a universal average of 57ppm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave5358
You might wish to clean your spectacles and re-read the oil analysis report. The molybdenum level was 221ppm, compared to a universal average of 57ppm.

You might wish to read the column titles again, discern the difference between how Blackstone prints off a VOA versus a UOA, and read the entire thread. On the molybdenum row, in the left column, there is a 1. The next column is Unit/Location Averages, which are based (if I recall correctly) on the data from all of Bob Fout's VOAs that he submitted.

There is no moly in this oil. If you wish to believe there is, go ahead. The odds of me using this oil are between 0 and 1 chances in a million, so I don't care if it's got moly or if it's actually an SE rated monograde.

You're free to call Blackstone if you need advice on how to read their reports. Or, you send in a sample yourself to another lab if you don't see the results you like.

Someone had done UOA LubroMoly branded Mos2 oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2023463/Re:_Lubro_Moly_10w40_MOS2_5453#Post2023463

Looks very nice actually. Moly content could be high, if there is 500 pm left of it after 8700 km? (it has had plenty of time to attach friction surfaces and settle around)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back