Valvoline -Premium Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings to all, I'm new to the forum. I have a question to the experts. I used to use the 15w– 40 Rotella oil until I was talking to my dad and he had a dealer work on his diesel and told him he would be better off with the Valvoline oil brand. I have since then did some research and found this Valvoline 15w-40 Premium Blue synthetic blend oil.And have been using it with oil changes @ every 5000 miles.
The jury is still out on this oil, and really wanted to know if anyone else uses this. thx

Try and give us more information. Why was he told Valvoline is better? Better than what? Why 15W-40? What vehicle are you talking about?

Last edited:
Valvoline is EXCELLENT oil. Probably just as good as Rotella. Those oils are equals I'd suppose.

I run the same stuff, repackaged as Napa brand, in my truck. I like it.. .

Cummins/Onan spec Valvoline Premium Blue for their generators. We had a 250kW (since replaced with twin 400kW CATs) that would consume Rotella. I switched to Premium Blue and it consumed noticeably less. Not terribly scientific I know, but there it is. The CATS are too new for me to have established any baselines.

I tore down some CAT engines that ran NAPA oil and there was no buildup or funny wear as this is a top of the line oil. Valvoline is just not as popular as the other diesel oils (Delvac, Rotella, Delo). Premium blue is just a little harder to find on store shelves and not on sale very often... I would run it if Valvoline Premium Blue was easy to obtain.

Cudadude - welcome to the site
welcome2.gif

I'll counter the advice your dad got.

I would disagree that VPB is "better" than Rotella. I would also say that Rotella is not "better" than Delvac, or Delo. I have seen excellent UOAs from all brands, and none of them indicate that one brand is superior to another. I've also see UOAs that indicate a problem, and none of them have ever shown that it was a brand-related issue (typically a mechanical issues manifesting into problems).

Opinions run far and wide on lubes and filter, but there is data available, if you're willing to go find it. Unfortunately, even the data is often misinterpreted. I suggest you start by reading this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

My point is that "best" or "better" can be proven, but ONLY after a long series of testing is done, and at much expense. Micro data analysis is probably the most reliable methodology, but it's also the most expensive and time consuming by far. Macro data analysis is reliable, too, but still takes a major investment. And when I say "long" and "expensive", I mean L-O-N-G and E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E. I seriously doubt the guy who gave your dad that advice has any credible data to back up the statement that VPB is truly better than any alternative.

The reality is that if you and your dad are going to follow the OEM OCI routine, then any properly qualified lube will do just fine, and no one oil (or filter) is going to distinguish itself above another. In short, any API certified HDEO that is spec'd for your application will suffice well more than good enough.

If you want to be brand loyal, there is nothing wrong with that approach. But it's not really going to help or hurt your engine one way or another.

You don't mention what equipment you're running the HDEO in, but presuming it to be a typical light duty diesel engine, 5k miles is probably very conservative for the OCI. I'd suggest using the least expensive HDEO you can find. When you use an API certified lube, you're assuring excellent protection regardless of the brand. That in mind, the "best" lube is the one that provides that assurance of good performance at the least cost.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for some great feedback and the warm welcome.
Sorry I didn’t give all the information that I could have to better suit a good answer. I do feel for the most part my question was answered. I’m probable over thinking the oil quality I’m looking for. The reason I say this, is because I own a 2005 ¾ ton 4x4 Dodge with a cumin motor, with 109Mmile on it. I purchased the truck new and I have put all the miles on it along with all lube changes and repairs. I use all wix filters in this truck and am very satisfied with it's performance. This engine has no chips in it and never will. It may haul a load twice a year.

With that said, I am never label loyal to anything. I do allot of research aka reading allot. I figure out what bang I can get for my buck, and quality. I will pay more for quality, if I see the payback.

*Can I get more miles from the VPB between oil changes that I’m currently doing? I know when I pull this oil it is blacker than black. I also change the oil filter with every change and the fuel filter every three oil changes.

P.S Thanks dnewton3 for the link ( good read)
Again thanks to everyone that replied.

Last edited:
I run 15W-40 of whatever major brand is on sale, OCI's are at 7500 miles on my 07 Duramax. I tow a 8K TH loaded all over the country no issues.

Originally Posted By: Cudadude
I purchased the truck new and I have put all the miles on it along with all lube changes and repairs. I use all wix filters in this truck and am very satisfied with it's performance. This engine has no chips in it and never will. It may haul a load twice a year.

With that said, I am never label loyal to anything. I do allot of research aka reading allot. I figure out what bang I can get for my buck, and quality. I will pay more for quality, if I see the payback.

*Can I get more miles from the VPB between oil changes that I’m currently doing? I know when I pull this oil it is blacker than black. I also change the oil filter with every change and the fuel filter every three oil changes.

Sounds like the maintenance has been well done; no reason to think your right won't last as long as you intend to keep it and then some. Wix is a good brand, but they are not the only filter worthy of consideration. Any good brand name will suffice. The topic of filters is not unlike that of lubes; brand loyality will sway opinions, but facts and data tell us that it does not matter overall. Keeping it stock helps as well. Highly perf-modded engines can suffer other effects that alter wear at times. (I am speaking of chips, tuners, compounds, etc that pump up the power heavily for competition or extreme peformance criteria).

As for the OCI for the VPB, only a few UOAs will give you that answer. I highly suspect that you could safely extend your OCI, given that you keep the vehicle in good condition. But guessing and knowing are two totally different things. Get a few UOAs and get a real answer. Post them up when you get them and we'll help decipher. Odds are that you could extend for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back