PCV System on E90 (N52 Engine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done about as much as I can think on the recently acquired BMW in my sig. So far:

Oil Change (M1 0-40; MANN Filter)
Plugs (NGK)
COPS (Bosch)
Trans Case (BMW Fluid)
Front/Rear Diff (M1 75-90)
Power Steer Reservoir (filter inside) w/ HCSII drain/fill system
Brake Fluid flush
Fuel Filter --
37.gif
Why they put it in the gas tank and call it a day I will never understand

I'm wondering about the PCV system. Any maintenance? How to know if it's working properly? 76k miles with 125-150k more to go
eek.gif

I'm guessing at COPS meaning coilpacks, or Coil Over Plug...Stuff? System? [censored]?

As for other stuff;
Air filter
Cabin filter
Timing belt
Aux. belt..

And as for the PCV, if the valve still moves freely you should hear it rattle when you shake it. If you hear nothing its likely plugged up with varnish and gunk, carb/brake cleaner usually frees it up.
Preferably, VTA and plug the hole in the inlet where the vapours would normally be directed to.

You might consider an oil/air separator catch can for the PCV system. I put one on my 2013 5.3L engine in my Silverado. It is amazing the amount of oil and gunk that moves thru that PCV line to the intake. You can check this out here....

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/141161-PCV-Catch-Can-Results

And a real long thread full of detailed discussion (and great pics to back them up) here.....

http://www.silveradosierra.com/vortec-5-3l-v8/pcv-catch-can-t92241.html

Might be worth considering for you ride as well. All engines with PCV have some level of this problem. Each engine design is different as to how much of a problem it is.

ATF or MTF fluid change
Engine air filter
Cabin air filter

You may want to locate the sunroof drains and make sure they are clean and clear.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I've done about as much as I can think on the recently acquired BMW in my sig. So far:

Oil Change (M1 0-40; MANN Filter)
Plugs (NGK)
COPS (Bosch)
Trans Case (BMW Fluid)
Front/Rear Diff (M1 75-90)
Power Steer Reservoir (filter inside) w/ HCSII drain/fill system
Brake Fluid flush
Fuel Filter --
37.gif
Why they put it in the gas tank and call it a day I will never understand

I'm wondering about the PCV system. Any maintenance? How to know if it's working properly? 76k miles with 125-150k more to go
eek.gif

Early for me as well!!! Forgot a few items:

I did radiator drain / fill (BMW fluid and distilled water.
Trans pan drop/filter with MaxLife ATF.
Mann cabin filter
Mann engine filter

Belt still looked great so kept it on for now. Sooner or later electronic water pump will go. Plan on belt n pully then.

Char Baby said:
It's early for me(05:30). What is COPS?
How about the coolant? Or is that ^^^ what this is? [/quot

COIL OVER PLUGS

Seems like you may have done a bunch of things that aren't necessary, but you have a solid list there. I'd definitely assess all breather hoses to see if any are cracked at the ends. If so, a replacement of much of the system is likely due. Otherwise leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Char Baby said:
It's early for me(05:30). What is COPS?
How about the coolant? Or is that ^^^ what this is? [/quot

COIL OVER PLUGS

Thank you for clearifing that! I'm awake now!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back