"break in" oil for turbo subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be getting a used motor soon for my Subaru. It will most likely have around 50k miles. But has been sitting for who knows how long. My plan was to run xxxxx oil for xxxx miles then switch to rotella t6 for 5 k and get oil analysis.

Question, what steps should I take for new motor? Old trick of spraying marvel into cylinders before starting? Do I use a cheap supertec oil first? How long should I run it? Thank you

Side question... I'm also getting an oil temp/pressure gauge. I got temp so I make sure car is truly warm before any halfway spirited driving. What temp should be the low? 100? What should my pressure be?and my normal temp?

Since it's used there is no break in required. While it's out of the car you should at least consider a look around to be sure it is a good candidate, otherwise it's a bit of a gamble.

As to break in, I believe in no lower gears but LOTS of full throttle in the higher gears for best ring seal. Oil temps once over 120 degrees or so are fine unless you run heavy oils for some strange reason.

Once you get some pressure versus temps data we can tell you more. There's a lot of Scooby folks here...

I'm looking and have been looking for awhile.
A little nervous on spending all this money!

So no cleaner oil? Something to get anything out to freshen it up?

I'll be running t6 like I.said its 5w-40

Highly recommended for subies.

I have an auto...... Can't do the only high gear thing..

Originally Posted By: 91camarosRS
I'm looking and have been looking for awhile.
A little nervous on spending all this money!

So no cleaner oil? Something to get anything out to freshen it up?

I'll be running t6 like I.said its 5w-40

Highly recommended for subies.

I have an auto...... Can't do the only high gear thing..

I would simply change to the T6 right after you buy it, and maybe have a shorter interval the first time. Good oil is good oil.

As far as hard acceleration in a higher gear...well...that's speed related so get up to highway speed, and accelerate hard, expecting a single downshift.

T6 is a perfect choice. If you are really worried, change it out a bit early and continue using T6. No need to worry about break in. And T6 will maintain a clean engine.

You will get another 200,000 miles as long as the head gasket and other issues don't cause problems.

Last edited:
Yes.....
Wife is a phlebotomist and drives 200+miles a day to collect samples from nursing homes

Oil changes have been neglected(wifes car) getting one in the next hour. I will ne on top of that! Plan on getting oil analysis done on it with the new change. We are in for long haul(my car too... She put the miles on my subie) I want/need a oil that that car needs. Ran Quaker for the first 40k or so then dealer switched to Mobil. We get free changes

If the engine has 50,000 miles, it's already "broke in". Run the oil you want to normally run.

Originally Posted By: 91camarosRS
Yes.....
Wife is a phlebotomist and drives 200+miles a day to collect samples from nursing homes

Oil changes have been neglected(wifes car) getting one in the next hour. I will ne on top of that! Plan on getting oil analysis done on it with the new change. We are in for long haul(my car too... She put the miles on my subie) I want/need a oil that that car needs. Ran Quaker for the first 40k or so then dealer switched to Mobil. We get free changes

If those are highway miles, it's a good candidate for extended drain...

A single used oil analysis is pointless. They are used to establish trends which can then be analyzed for any anomalies so save your money unless you plan on doing them consistently.

As far as the first start some mmo into the cylinders via the plug holes wouldn't hurt. Once it's started I'd do an mmo intake cleaning via a vacuum hose just to insure the top end isn't dried out or dirty.
None of this is required it's merely a suggestion.

I was thinking,for both cars, to get a baseline. See if anything looks abnormal.

Put oil that "should" normalize. Then check again.

Or in my Hyundai, see how long I can go between changes. Or should I get a better oil etc

I would use Mobil 1 extended performance in the wifes car and use it for 12000 miles or so which in her case will be 4 months or so. And rest assured that that car is ok.

That's all my Subaru saw....

Then I heard about t6.....

I guess ill do that next.

Or maybe I should run m1 ep for 12k, then take analysis and see if its ok.

Wix,OEM,or puralator gold/one? Or fram?<just kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back