This is why we can't have nice things ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love NY!
1004826_738714859363_592278943_n.jpg

The rear of the car had 1/4'' of salt powder from salt spray drawn in from the vacuum!

Had to do 160 miles on Christmas day.

It's about 15 out so I am going to try to spray it off. The good news is my grease / oil is holding up underneath.

LOL.. That's why you have to own variants of silver/grey. Hide all the winter time schmutz. I rarely wash the exterior all winter. 1 mile from the car wash and it looks like your car anyway.

Last edited:
Good news is if you want to do any aero mods the salt spray pattern will show you how successful you were....

My car is worse right now, you can't even see the black centres of my steel winter rims because they are white crusted with salt.

I do a lot of driving though so its totally unavoidable sadly. Frustrating is not the word.

Krown (Canada) and wash regularly is all you can do.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That's one of the many reasons why we own a beater.

Well ... I drive this in the winter to keep the 14 year old Jeep from rusting. One or the other.

I was considering picking up a winter beater this year. I am thinking of putting the Jeep away for next winter and getting a beater Focus.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Well ... I drive this in the winter to keep the 14 year old Jeep from rusting.

You really think it's possible to keep a Jeep from rusting?
48.gif

ehhh, no worries. If youre correctly rustproofed, wax sometimes, and wash with a good de-salting product (like salt away), it will shine up nicely in the spring and Id not be concerned.

If youre not well rustproofed, then I might be concerned.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Well ... I drive this in the winter to keep the 14 year old Jeep from rusting.

You really think it's possible to keep a Jeep from rusting?
48.gif

Good point! Slow down the rust! Sitting on a paved, unsalted portion of the parking lot is the best I can do for now.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
ehhh, no worries. If youre correctly rustproofed, wax sometimes, and wash with a good de-salting product (like salt away), it will shine up nicely in the spring and Id not be concerned.

If youre not well rustproofed, then I might be concerned.

Waxed it in the fall and spray with oil underneath throughout the winter.

Last edited:
sitting isnt really good for jeeps.. all kind of stuff have a tendancy to quit working after sitting for a month or 2

Such as the HVAC being stuck on defrost ...

I take it out every two weeks if the roads are dry and there is very little risk for salt spray. Run up to the northern suburbs and back on the highway. About 45 miles or so. Gets it up to temperature and oil circulating pretty well. Then fill with gas a mile from home and park.

If we *do* get a major snowstorm with 2 or 3 Feet, I will have no choice but to drive it in the snow.

But if there's any chance of snow, it sits still
smile.gif

I keep my 2008 F-150 Harley Davidson Edition parked during the winter months to avoid it being exposed to salt. With the price of trucks nowadays I don't want to be buying another one anytime soon!

Why can't people be responsible for their own actions and buy a $500 set of snow tires every 4 years?

Instead, people that "can't afford" to buy snow tires every few years need to buy a completely different vehicle because they rust in half.

If people would just run decent tires in the winter, they wouldn't have to salt so much. I wouldn't have to worry about a 14 year old vehicle rusting into oblivion and my taxes would be lower from not having to pay for steep maintenance to bridges.

Where is the problem? That looks pretty clean to me.

I don't think I've managed more than three years on a set of snows. And those were not $500 ones! Next time I buy a set tho I may well try a cheapo set, they can't be any worse. Then again, what with "needing" then for upwards of five months out of the year...

Why can't people be responsible for their own actions and buy a $500 set of snow tires every 4 years?

Instead, people that "can't afford" to buy snow tires every few years need to buy a completely different vehicle because they rust in half.

If people would just run decent tires in the winter, they wouldn't have to salt so much. I wouldn't have to worry about a 14 year old vehicle rusting into oblivion and my taxes would be lower from not having to pay for steep maintenance to bridges.

+1. Driving is a privilege, and if folks can't afford the tires/stowage, not anyone elses' problem.

I'll put up with that once or twice a year, that's it. This would really be an issue for me living up north. After seeing my perfectly running Explorer crumble from rust (PA import to the south), that's really my biggest issue with a vehicle. You can throw a new engine or trans in, but rot is terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back