I need a single bolt. How hard can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got two Dorman flange bolts for my Buick that were identical to the OEM bolts except for the color -- the OEM bolts are silver and the Dormans are gold.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
could be tapered hex, trapped washer, plated, stainless, etc. you can tell the difference.

Well it would be nice if Ford put a picture next to the part number but they don't - they don't even tell you the size.

Trust me is isn't any easier on the other side of the counter. So many times I have printed out a picture and said to the customer "does the bolt look like that smudge or the little dot."

Hardware is the most difficult part of the cataloging, what hurts is most are sold in packs of 6-8-10 so the customer that only needs one has to buy 8 because I am not getting stuck with the other 7 to babysit for years and waste the owners money.

3 pages for a missing trans pan bolt????
Go to a good hardware. Maybe I'm spoiled but I have two hardwares within 10 miles of me that would likely have the correct flange bolt.

I would go to the hardware store too. It wouldn't bother me if the bolts weren't a perfect match. Bolt and a washer will work if you can't find the exact type of bolt.

I got two Dorman flange bolts for my Buick that were identical to the OEM bolts except for the color -- the OEM bolts are silver and the Dormans are gold.

Then you should replace them all with gold so they match...
wink.gif

No doubt OCD runs rampet on this board...

Me, If there isn't something workable in my bucket, I'll go to Tractor Supply and buy whatever is close...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

wink.gif

Me, If there isn't something workable in my bucket, I'll go to Tractor Supply and buy whatever is close...

why pay more money and get 10 bolts instead of two, of unknown grade?

There has to be a Ford with a transmission in the J/Y. Wait until you strip one out. Then you can use a 1/4 - 28 without even tapping.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TFB1

wink.gif

why pay more money and get 10 bolts instead of two, of unknown grade?

I'd use nothing less than a 10.9 grade bolt if it was my pan.

(dang....still on Page 3)

Last edited:
why would you put your car back together with tractor supply chinese garbage hardware?

Guess you've never been to TS eh??? They have a great selection of std bolts in grades 2, 5, & 8, as well a quality metric sizes, anyway I don't care if they MAYBE are imported... For a trans pan a thumbscrew, even bubble gum would be fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back