royal purple gear oil hard to shift when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
so I have a 2012 Mazda speed three. Just replaced the transmission fluid with the 75w-90 two days ago.
for about 5 minutes when the engine is cold it is difficult to shift, it does not grind unless forced but it can be a pain to get into 2nd.
from what I have read it seems to be because the oil is heavier then the oem oil and needs to warm up in cold weather like the red line mt90.
Is this normal for these types of gear oils? supposedly it is for the redline
Does anyone else have to deal with this with RP, or respond? Is your tranny still ok

Almost all transmission that spec a gear oil fill be a bit stiff in the cold. I haven't had the problem in years due to using ATF in my last 3 manual trans. The problem should become a little les noticeable as the oil shears some.

the car calls for a lightweight 75w80 GL-4

if you put in RP 75w90 GL-5 that is your problem.

the extra additives in gl-5 will usually negatively affect syncho operation.
in addition to it being much thicker.

owners manual page 489 (section 10-4)

mspeed3.JPG

For the best shift feel I'd recommend Gl-4 only and the proper viscosity
such as
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50204

Redline 75w80 GL-4 Transmission oil.

Thank you rand
I just went by what some in the Mazda forums have said. I will be switching it out first thing.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Almost all transmission that spec a gear oil fill be a bit stiff in the cold. I haven't had the problem in years due to using ATF in my last 3 manual trans. The problem should become a little les noticeable as the oil shears some.

Yep. A higher viscosity index fluid may help a tiny bit, but manual transmissions are always a bit clunky and sloppy when cold.

Probably a good idea to stay away from the Gl4-5 combo stuff? Now do people run the 75w-90 do to better performance when hot then and just deal with the scrappy shifting when the engine is cold? Doesn't make sense to me seems like the 75w-80 would be best all around unless your going to the track or something.

If Mazda call for a 75w90, stick with that grade. They spent millions in R&D and they know what fluid their gearbox needs!

IMO, the very best 75w90 on the market that meets GL4 is this stuff here (two links included depending on wether you have an open diff or a LSD)

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60230-miller...ission-oil.aspx
(above link is the open diff version)

or

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60232-miller...ission-oil.aspx
(this link is the same stuff but for use with LSD)

I use it, it's silky smooth hot or cold! I've used a lot of different gear oils in 75w90 and nothing has ever come close to the Night-and-Day difference in smoothness when cold AND hot that I've experienced with this stuff.

Millers have a customer for life
smile.gif

I use Redline http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7 fluid in my Jag X-Type. It's the proper spec fluid and works quite well. It's also a good choice for your Mazda.

In fact, my trans has been 100% trouble free, something that other jag X-Type owners cannot say (those that don't change fluids regularly)

It shifts better than the other fluids I've tried. Hot or cold.

Check this out:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3228789/Gear_Oil_study While it does not directly apply, it does show the oil you used as being extremely out of grade when cold.

Last edited:
Fellow MS3 owner here - 2008 with over 120,000 miles.

Royal purple fluid is garbage.

Go with Redline if you can. Otherwise pick up some syncromesh. The manual in the MS3 can run ATF fluid all day with no problems.

Originally Posted By: camelCase

Go with Redline if you can. Otherwise pick up some syncromesh. The manual in the MS3 can run ATF fluid all day with no problems.

The redline recommendation is not their d4 or d6 atf, but their GL-4 MTL 75w80.

Originally Posted By: macy1188
Probably a good idea to stay away from the Gl4-5 combo stuff? Now do people run the 75w-90 do to better performance when hot then and just deal with the scrappy shifting when the engine is cold? Doesn't make sense to me seems like the 75w-80 would be best all around unless your going to the track or something.

There is no reason to avoid a dual-rated GL-4/GL-5 fluid. There are many good ones such as Motul Gear 300.

Originally Posted By: Olas
oops! i re-read and saw that they need a 75w80, in which case MTL is the daddy!

Yes, until Millers gets off their duffs and gives us a light, MTL-like gearbox fluid!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: camelCase

The redline recommendation is not their d4 or d6 atf, but their GL-4 MTL 75w80.

It would probably survive on the D4 (if NOT driven like a race car, as it was meant to be), but NO, it is definitely NOT 'ideal'.

Thank you all for the help I picked up 3quarts of redline MTL 75w-80 and will be replacing tomorrow. And btw the rp was not the problem. It was that I was using -90 not 80. To all the people running the motorcraft -90 or redline this is the wrong oil and can overtime damage your transmission especially IN cold climates it's to thick to fully protect the transmission.

Thank you all for the help I picked up 3quarts of redline MTL 75w-80 and will be replacing tomorrow. And btw the rp was not the problem. It was that I was using -90 not 80. To all the people running the motorcraft -90 or redline this is the wrong oil and can overtime damage your transmission especially IN cold climates it's to thick to fully protect the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back