Eco - what does it really do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: coopns
Honda Ody 12. I don't drive it much (wife does) but when coasting...Eco light comes on. Wife mentions it seems to 'suspend' the engine, she doesn't like the feeling. I just noticed it a bit the other day, could gently feel it.

Does it do something or is it just simply informing us?

Thanks.

My Pilot has the same VCM engine as your car. Some people say the ECO light illuminating isn't always related to the VCM engaging but everytime the light comes on for me, I feel a slight vibration which to me means the VCM is activating.

I cant say about the 2012 but every Honda I have worked on with VCM the eco light is directly related to VCM operation, I don't think they changed.
Other makes that use similar eco lights may or may not have VCM it may be just a simple vacuum operated switch.
Higher vacuum turns the light on (eco), lower turns it off.

FRONT BANK AND CAMSHAFT? Please provide your source for this info, or is just your opinion/conjecture? Look up Honda TSB SB-13-078 which addresses the V6 VCM issue and the class action lawsuit and settlement. Honda extends the warranty from 5 to eight years. It's about piston rings and rear bank, not camshaft.

Back in August I test drove a 2013 Challenger R/T with the 5.7 Hemi that had the Eco display and I could always tell when it went from 8 cyl. mode to 4 cyl mode. I didn't like how it felt and is one of the reasons I didn't buy it. I also test drove a 2010 Camaro SS that had this system but I couldn't tell when it was operating. I ended up buying a Mustang GT without this system. I don't want a vehicle that has it.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back