'03 Dodge Ram HVAC issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. It has no heat coming out of the driver side vents. It has great airflow but its ambient temperature. On the passenger side the vents have heat coming out just perfectly. Im scratching my head trying to figure out what would cause that. Any ideas?

Yeah, it looks like the dash has to come out so the HVAC box can come out. Probably a broken blend door from what Ive found. [censored].

If she can live with it until a warm day comes along it's really not that bad. It's about as easy as dashboards get. Take your time, note where everything goes, and you're looking at maybe 2 hours to yank the dash, 1 1/2 to put it in and if you vaccuum the carpet first you don't even have to get dirty.

It might be a bad blend door actuator. If it is anything like a Dakota it will have 2 actuators on the outside of the hvac box and 2 on the inside of the hvac box. There may be a broken actuator on the outside of the box above the gas pedal. It's worth a look before pulling the dash.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
If she can live with it until a warm day comes along it's really not that bad. It's about as easy as dashboards get. Take your time, note where everything goes, and you're looking at maybe 2 hours to yank the dash, 1 1/2 to put it in and if you vaccuum the carpet first you don't even have to get dirty.

Yeah, shes out of town for a week, and Im only here (Im at my Dad's place in Las Vegas) through Sunday so Im trying to do as much as I can. I already did spark plugs (the old ones were wider than I could measure with a gapper!) and the downstream O2 sensor that was setting a P0037. O'Rilleys is supposed to get me the door Saturday morning, so I will probably do the tear down tomorrow (Friday) so its ready to go in as soon as I get it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You may have to buy the whole box. Often they dont offer just the doors

They do. I have a Dorman replacement on order. Must be pretty common problem if they are making them.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
It might be a bad blend door actuator. If it is anything like a Dakota it will have 2 actuators on the outside of the hvac box and 2 on the inside of the hvac box. There may be a broken actuator on the outside of the box above the gas pedal. It's worth a look before pulling the dash.

I can see/hear the actuator moving so its fine, I guess they just break.

So the blend door isnt the problem. I got the HVAC box cut open and everything is in one piece. I have no idea; it makes no sense. I threw in the towel. She'll just have to live with closing the driver vents when she wants heat.

Little bit, yeah.
kristitruck.jpg

Did you pull the actuator off the shaft to verify the shaft was moving the door (internally)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back