O2 bolt removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all--suggestions needed as to how to remove the rusted nuts off the studs that hold the O2 sensor on my '92 Toyota truck. Have tried soaking in PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench but the very rusted condition has prevented my removing them so far. What do you suggest?

get a dremmel with a grinder wheel and try to notch a groove in the top for a flat head screwdriver. I had this issue on my 91 4runner and ended up doing that.

Is this one of those Toyota O2 sensors with the two little nuts?

Usually by the time those nuts need to be removed they're a lot smaller and rounder than they used to be. Find a socket that's too small to fit and try to hammer it on. If you get the socket on, take it back off and try to hammer on a smaller socket. Use a socket that won't go on so you can hammer at it until the rust starts to break up a little. Once you've done that you should be able to use a fluted bolt removal socket (socket that fits round-head bolts) to take it right off.

If the nuts are just too small to do that use a tiny straight screwdriver to peel the nuts off the studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back