can i get tires siped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some crummy tires last year. They still have 9/32 tread left but all the factory sipes are gone. They were not very deep. Now i just have 3 solid strips on the tire and no traction. Americas tire told me to pound sand as far as warrantying them.

what would be the warranty reason? suffering from buying their cheap Chinese tires isnt a valid reason :p

if they are clean and free of debris such as rocks many places will sipe.. but since its a cut sipe and not a molded sipe its not exactly the same.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Where can i het them cut? I was thinking of using my die grinder lol

A place that sells tire siping services.

some places that may

Big-O tires
Firestone

Tire Centers
Fallbrook tire

etc.

try using google.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
In my experience,you'll have a hard time finding a shop that will sipe used tires.

yep, why I said they have to be clean and debris free.. no little stones in tread etc.

I asked in the Long Island NY area about getting tires Siped, at Mavis Tire and STL tire. They had no clue what Siping a tire was.

The previous owner of my Town and Country had the factory tires siped at some time, and it made them so noisy that I took them off.

They were the factory tires, and they obviously weren't siped at the factory, so someone did it to a set of used tires.

The previous owner of my Town and Country had the factory tires siped at some time, and it made them so noisy that I took them off.

They were the factory tires, and they obviously weren't siped at the factory, so someone did it after they had been used for some amount of time.

Are you sure of the wisdom of this? I mean tyre manufacturers spend millions on R&D developing a tyre, and if it could be improved with an extra groove here or there, they'd do it. It would cost them nothing and improve the tyre.

I can see how more grooves could adversely affect the temeprature characteristics of a tyre for kick-off.

It would be in the mould at manufacture. I have no real understanding of tyre design, so I won't pretend I do, but I am a development engineer, so i have healthy resepct for those that do. Tyres are not just "Black & Round". These people are not fools, and to mess with their design is saying they are. Tyres are safety critcal. Someone is a fool here. Is it me , you or the tyre designers. Before you carry on, be sure the fool is me.

Now this is not a service we see here in the UK, but tyre design is a very complex subject, a black art, so a guy in a shed with a hobby knife or even a 'service' offered to random tyres should set you thinking...

Now, if you're going to do it, do it properly.

Winter tyres...

Last edited:
http://sipers.com/

If you have 9/32" tread depth remaining, you can have them siped with the 7/32" blade on the siping machine.

First, I'd return to Discount Tire, talk with the store manager, and escalate your problem up to a higher level than just the store. As always, be business-courteous while demanding your rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back