MMO For 4K to 5K Mile OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: steve20
Over the last 35 years or so, I've run MMO the entire OCI on many vehicles. Always had excellent results with MMO.
"FEAR NO DONALD"-he read one article, and plays the 'lubricity' card every chance he gets. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just know from decades of experience MMO works, and works well

I see I'm in good company,
11.gif
the only difference is I have a few years on you. LOL

Should be seek shelter?
27.gif

Yep. Donald's an expert on products he's never used.
I've got an inverse oiler on my charger. The car runs like a dream.
As far as mmo in the oil goes I've never,ever read of a failure when the instructions were followed.
I use it in the oil on new to me vehicles and when I'm first starting servicing a new vehicle.
It can't hurt,or hasn't yet for me anyways.

I've pretty much decided on my son's new to him Trailblazer ('02 4.2L I-6 , 7 qrt sump with ONLY 80K miles on it ) to use 5 qrts. PYB , 0.5 qrt of left over Shell SN rated conventional oil and finish with 1.5 qrts. of MMO . Add a Wix oil filter and run for 4,000 miles / 4 months . That ratio of MMO will provide approx. 20% - 21% ratio MMO to oil and mixed with the PYB and Shell conventional (both good cleaning oils in their own right ...) should be great over the next 4 months until Spring . * My favorite thing about adding MMO to oil is how fast an engine will turn over in the cold - it's noticeably faster with MMO added . Come Spring I'll find what ever DEXOS 1 rated oil I can find on sale and service the vehicle with it until the wheels fall off .

I am deathly allergic to sludge (it makes me feel sick, lol), and I have had good results using 15-20 percent MMO in the crank, but I only do it in the Winter and in my non-BMW's (I am not risking a problem with such expensive motors, regardless of how small the risk may be). That includes the notoriously sludge-tastic Toyota 5SFE ('00 Camry w 298k), Ford 3.0L Duratec V6 (177k in 98 Contour), and a number of other similar motors.
I have yet to see just MMO make a difference in terms of removing sludge, but it it does very much seem to halt it's progression.
I even used it in the 3SGTE I4 Turbo (I had a last MY Toyota MR2 second gen Turbo, and it was pushing over 2x factory boost...), a few older BMW motors including a few M20 2.5L I6's, an M30, two M62's (one being a tu)... A friend used it during winter in his B5 S4 w KKK K04 turbo's and a lot of other engine work and seeing as how those motors Love to explode fantastically should you so much as look at them sideways, the fact that he got 50k or so out of it trouble free (@ 314awhp) using MMO all winter makes me think it's likely quite safe.

I consider it a great first step in terms of "harshness" of the solvent/detergents used to clean up an icky motor. It seems to soften up carbon and sludge enough that when you add a healthy dose of Seafoam or the like, it's FAR less likely to "chunk the gunk" into the pickup screen or anywhere else it's not welcome.

MMO will often make an engine run a bit quieter, start a bit easier in cold and it will clean gently too, its not harsh at all.

The few UOA's I've seen with MMO in the crank have been as good or better than without it. Someday I need to do one of my own but I don't use it all the time.

I almost had the urge to add Seafoam - but decided against it in favor of MMO .
Speaking of MMO , my WM raised the price $2.00 to now over $15.00 per gallon .
I still believe in what I plan to do - but after this Winter OCI of newly acquired used vehicle (Trailblazer) I am going to use GF-5 / SN rated PYB , MS5K , QSAD , etc. and change as required without adding MMO to crankcase (balance of MMO can go in the gas where it can perhaps do some cleaning and provide a bit of UCL) .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I almost had the urge to add Seafoam - but decided against it in favor of MMO.

Under penalty of excommunication, or worse ;-}

Speaking of MMO , my WM raised the price $2.00 to now over $15.00 per gallon

Do you have a Menards store nearby? They are the cheapest MMO supplier in our area. Or try a Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply.

I almost had the urge to add Seafoam - but decided against it in favor of MMO .
Speaking of MMO , my WM raised the price $2.00 to now over $15.00 per gallon .
I still believe in what I plan to do - but after this Winter OCI of newly acquired used vehicle (Trailblazer) I am going to use GF-5 / SN rated PYB , MS5K , QSAD , etc. and change as required without adding MMO to crankcase (balance of MMO can go in the gas where it can perhaps do some cleaning and provide a bit of UCL) .

Mmo is 10 bucks a litre here at Walmart. 15 bucks a gallon sounds like a gift.

I do have a Tractor Supply store near by - will check what a gallon of MMO goes for there ...

Shaman : Nearest Tractor Supply I found is not worth it (gas wise) to me , so MMO at WM for $15.00 a gallon is the best deal . Please note , not all WM's sell the gallon size jug - most only sell the quart size .

Not sure , I never checked if TSC actually had MMO - WM is 1 mile from my house so I never bothered to look further - sorry .

WM is cheapest my area as well. Even though Donald thinks it should stay on the shelf I always buy more when I'm down to my last gallon.

In about 4 decades of using it, I don't think I've ever bought a gallon of it. I always managed to get it on sales where 4 qts. where cheaper than gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back