Put RESTORE in the old Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: strat81
A member on GMTNation used it in her Trailblazer with the 4.2L inline 6. The engine did not like it, threw all kinds of codes, etc.

Ummm no. there isn't a sensor on a vehicle that could pick up the fact that this stuff is in the oil and throw a CEL. Its [censored] like this that spreads internet rumors!

While I agree in this circumstance, What about an engine WITH! Some sort of sensor that could be put off by something in the oil? VVT/VTEC/MDS/AFM/VCM/MIVEC-MD..... etc

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
What about an engine WITH! Some sort of sensor that could be put off by something in the oil? VVT/VTEC/MDS/AFM/VCM/MIVEC-MD..... etc

I don't think I'd use Restore in any high-tech engine with a potentially corruptible sensor unless I didn't care if something did go haywire.

I've read some things online (I think Amazon reviews) where people claimed cam shaft sensors and possibly VVT was affected immediately after adding Restore. I can see that happening. I mean, you're pouring in heavy dose of soft, conductive metals into your oil....things could happen.

I think Restore is best used for old-school, low tech engines. If your engine has a distributor cap, you're probably fine. If your engine utilizes variable valve timing or even has a cam sensor, you might want to think twice about pouring Restore into your crankcase.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
What about an engine WITH! Some sort of sensor that could be put off by something in the oil? VVT/VTEC/MDS/AFM/VCM/MIVEC-MD..... etc

I don't think I'd use Restore in any high-tech engine with a potentially corruptible sensor unless I didn't care if something did go haywire.

I've read some things online (I think Amazon reviews) where people claimed cam shaft sensors and possibly VVT was affected immediately after adding Restore. I can see that happening. I mean, you're pouring in heavy dose of soft, conductive metals into your oil....things could happen.

I think Restore is best used for old-school, low tech engines. If your engine has a distributor cap, you're probably fine. If your engine utilizes variable valve timing or even has a cam sensor, you might want to think twice about pouring Restore into your crankcase.

Well said.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Phishin

Well said.

I agree...
Clapped out 305 or 351, It's a last ditch effort
27.gif

3MZ-FE or VQ... Just.... Just no
15.gif

Well, it has been almost a month exactly, about 770 miles since I added the RESTORE. I have to admit it did nothing to reduce the oil consumption. I didn't really expect much on that end due to valve seals, not necessarily scratched up cylinder walls.I would like to think I feel a little more power but it could be placebo effect. I did take the advice to change the filter at around 400 miles, because I was hearing some chatter like it was starving for lube, and the oil pressure had dropped maybe 5 psi. Put on new filter, problem solved, which leads me to a new question. These SBC engines are supposed to have a built in bypass in the block correct? Can (does) this malfunction?

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you have a 5 cyl mix the 4 and 6 cylinder formula!

that would be for a V10!

lol

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you have a 5 cyl mix the 4 and 6 cylinder formula!

that would be for a V10!

Yes use all for a 10, but you can use half for a 5

The engine is 23years old,,either rebuild it or put in a crate engine for about 3300 bucks and ride on,,,imho Its mechanical, they dont last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back