Bald tire review (Latitude Tour HP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires really impress me. They still have some winter traction left to them with 3/32" of tread left. I was able to make it through 6"-10" of snow without major drama but SH AWD working overtime in Acura MDX. I can stop pretty well still too. They remain relatively quiet which is another (+) aspect.

As far as wet traction terrible, terrible they hydroplane easily in heavier rain as I can see the traction control light flashing occasionally at highway speed so I slow down.

I am shedding them tomorrow finally as this will becomes my wife's kids mobile soon. I won't be purchasing them as its $300/tire in my size
shocked.gif
I get why folks buy Michelin though.

You can't beat quality in my opinion.

My Jaguar was fitted with cheapo Acceleras by the previous owner. Brand new so i am going to use them.

I drove a similar XJL with OE Pirelli tyree and the low speed ride comfort was better. Steering feel in the wet was better. They were quieter. And most importantly they provided more protection to the wheel.

Even though they are the same dimension the cheapos are actually narrower on the tread surface so they look like they have been stretched like the Veedub crowd used to do.

The Pirellis are however £300/320 each for the rear and £250/270 each for the front. So twice the price and a bit more.

I now know why people spend the $$$ on the Michelin's. I put a set of Primacy MXV4's on my summer Alloys for the Accord and they have been a FANTASTIC touring tire for driving in the summer.

Good tires are definitely worth their cost. The cheapest tires I've currently got are the summer set for my Jeep: General Grabber UHPs. They're pretty good, but time will tell how they hold up as they wear. My most expensive set are my Hakka R2s for winter. They're definitely worth every penny over the cheap snows, considering they're as quiet as my summers (quieter than my A/Ts), seem to roll well, only a little mushy and vague on turn in, grip well in the rain and seem utterly unstoppable in the snow.

I'm getting ready to (probably) buy a set of Latitude Tours for our Acura MDX this spring. Fortunately, ours aren't 300 bucks each; they're about $158 each from Sears (lowest price I've found), in the P235/65R17 size. Good for us, this is a brand new size in the Latitude Tour line, so it won't likely have an OEM-spec rubber compound. In other words, it should be durable.

The Cross Terrain tires we have on the Acura now are down to the 4/32" range. I will say that I've been quite happy with these, and would consider buying them again if they were still available. Their only real downside is their relatively short life, owing to their OEM nature.

I already do have Latitude Tours on our Honda and they're just fantastic tires.

The only reason we wouldn't put the Latitude Tours on the Acura this spring is if the at-cost Bridgestone/Firestone deal makes a set of Destination LE2s too hard to pass up. They'd have to be about half the cost of Michelins for me to try them, though. My wife is pretty set on Michelins, given the experience we've had with them, so it'll take a significant price cut to get her to accept anything different. We're also looking to buy at or around tax time, and the Bridgestone deal runs out at the end of January. So again, there will have to be a significant price advantage to pull us in that direction. We'll see.

So rjundi, what are you going to install next, if not the Latitude Tour HPs?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

So rjundi, what are you going to install next, if not the Latitude Tour HPs?

I have had incredible luck with Nokian WR G2 series and their variants. Incredible in the slush, wet and competenet in the dry. They are pretty quiet too. Basically a very tiny subset of all-season tires that is rated as a winter tire. Also $230/tire installed.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11955&group=2.01&name=Nokian+WRG2+SUV

I liked those a lot before I bought the Latitude Tours. As you might be able to imagine, Nokians are not popular in North Carolina. I might have bought them if Tire Rack or DTD sold them, just to try the brand.

Your MDX should be unstoppable with those.

The OE Latitude Tour (non-HP) were horrible on Grand Cherokees. Snow traction/stopping was scary after 10k miles. Mine were at 5/32nd at ~23K -- and got replaced. Cross Terrain was a much better tire. I honestly wouldn't put Latitudes on again if they were free.

I love the premise of this thread.

For the record, I mounted up a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring (walmart) with 3/32 and drove on it all summer. It was still at 3/32 at the end! Great wet traction, balance, low noise, did everything I wanted.

I'm thinking that's the last thing he wants his MDX to be in the snow.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

I'm thinking that's the last thing he wants his MDX to be in the snow.
wink.gif

Da-dum!!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back