Might buy a 2006 Toyota Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you checked in on the Avalon at the Ford dealer? It's listed for $14,500 right now. Don't talk trade till you're satisfied with the new(used) car price.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Have you checked in on the Avalon at the Ford dealer? It's listed for $14,500 right now. Don't talk trade till you're satisfied with the new(used) car price.

I may go over there Saturday morning. It means starting over -- checking out this new one, getting its records, having it looked at by a pro (my regular mechanic is a good 30 miles away) . . . but if the Ford people make it a pleasure to do business with them, it all may be worth it.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Ah, well, these people put way too many obstacles in the way of a pleasant sales experience. He emailed me:

"We over allowed for your trade and reduced the price of the Avalon. The car was priced according to it's [sic] condition, miles, and year. We are happy to change out the oil line as dictated by the recall. The other repairs would be your responsibility."

The sales guy he handed me off to on Saturday swore there would be no trouble with doing the cosmetic stuff as well as the oil line issue, too. Something tells me the old bait-and-switch is not dead, and that some "unexpected" price changes would occur before I could take delivery.

Scruit. I liked the car very much. Don't like the dealer and their attitude.

Some people don't know when to take "Yes" for an answer. How so many of them end up working in car sales, I'll never know.

Last edited:

I would wait them out. If they don't find another buyer and still need to make their monthly quota, they'll be knocking on your door again before this year is out.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I would wait them out. If they don't find another buyer and still need to make their monthly quota, they'll be knocking on your door again before this year is out.

We'll see. I'm due to have a look at the Slidell one on Saturday, and Car Talk's website has two or three well-reviewed shops in the dealer's neighborhood where I can probably have the Avalon checked out.

Quick update,

I've set up a pre-purchase inspection for Monday morning with a knowledgeable-sounding shop owner near the dealership. Also, the Toyota dealer here has faxed me the service records, and all the recalls were done, including the VVT oil line. Looking good so far . . .

There's not a Toyota dealer yet, that I've ever been able to do business with.

Here's what I would do. If the Ford dealer hands you the keys to their Avalon and tells you to have a fun afternoon in it... I'd then immediately head to the Toyota dealer's lot in it, drive through, and make sure that your salesman recognizes you in it. Wave if you have to.

If that doesn't motivate the Toyota dealer to start dealing, then nothing will. Then they'll realize that you've found another one, and that their deal just got some competition.

We did that with the last Subaru that Sis bought. It got the one that we really wanted, at the price that we wanted.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
There's not a Toyota dealer yet, that I've ever been able to do business with.

Here's what I would do. If the Ford dealer hands you the keys to their Avalon and tells you to have a fun afternoon in it... I'd then immediately head to the Toyota dealer's lot in it, drive through, and make sure that your salesman recognizes you in it. Wave if you have to. . . .

Oh, I'd love to do that, just to show 'em that What Goes Around Comes Around. But it's a good 35-mile trip each way, I think. On the other hand, it would definitely acquaint me with the car and its road-trip capabilities!

I bought a new 1992 Nissan Maxima on the last day of the year in 92 and got a smokin deal. The same dealer called me on the last day of the year in 96 and I bought a new 96 Nissan truck for my son for a killer price. They don't want to pay taxes on the vehicles in stock so you might consider waiting a few days and you can probably get a good deal....just sayin.

Most dealers are rotten to deal with. Only a few are good to do business with. If they won't deal at this point I'm not sure I'd even want to do business with them.

Metro Toyota in Cleveland is the lone exception around here. All the other ones are hard to work with.

Maybe negotiate a price before the inspection. Making the deal contingent on a clean inspection. If any bugs are present then they can fix them. Saves you the cost and time of an inspection.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I bought a new 1992 Nissan Maxima on the last day of the year in 92 and got a smokin deal. The same dealer called me on the last day of the year in 96 and I bought a new 96 Nissan truck for my son for a killer price. They don't want to pay taxes on the vehicles in stock so you might consider waiting a few days and you can probably get a good deal....just sayin.

Might do well on the day before Christmas Eve, too. The dealership will apparently be closed for the 24th and 25th. I'm sure they'd love to have one more sale in hand before they head off home.

How sleezy and worthless is my local Toyota dealer?

1) They won't put prices on their website. That means that theire prices are so high, that they're embarassed by them. You have to provide a name and email address just to get a price over the internet.

2) In their advertisements, they claim that their one owner used cars aren't rentals... but then refuse to provide any copies of CarFax reports to prove it.

Sleezy.

Update,

I've been to drive and inspect the Avalon at the Ford dealer in Slidell. Pros: As smooth and silent as the one at the Toyota dealer.

Cons: That gas pedal drive-by-wire lag, which I've gotten to like less and less. Nicks and chips in the paint, which I've seen on every Avalon I've looked at, and cracks in the dash vinyl. Those are minor.

The major: The timing cover is leaking oil! This after (according to the servicing dealer's records) the timing cover was resealed, the valve cover gasket replaced, and the spark plugs replaced a year ago. The shop took only 15 minutes to come back and say, "That's a 17-hour job to redo. We'd recommend you not purchase this car."

So I didn't. End of this particular adventure, I guess. I'll fix the things the Buick needs and drive on for a while, until (or if) something I really like as much pops up. And Linda will be happier to keep her heated seat!

Thanks to all for your input and opinions. Without your feedback, I might well have gotten myself into a mess.

The timing cover is leaking oil! This after (according to the servicing dealer's records) the timing cover was resealed

Morons for not taking advantage of a known issue that was covered for free, as should the failed repair:

-------------------------

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3r...eg064-05-a.html

Posted to: Avalon, RAV4, Toyota
Limited Service Campaign for VVT-i Oil Line
On February 22, Toyota announced phase three of a Limited Service Campaign (LSC) on certain 2007 – 2009 model year Avalon and RAV4 vehicles with a 2GR-FE (V6) engine, the rubber portion of the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator may degrade over time. This condition may cause oil to leak from the VVT-i oil hose producing abnormal engine noise and the oil pressure light to illuminate.

This is not a safety recall and submitting a Defect Information Report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is not required. Toyota has taken this step in the interest of customer satisfaction, informing owners that Toyota and Lexus dealers will modify their vehicle to help them avoid experiencing the condition.

For phase three, there are approximately 128,800 Avalon (2007 – 2009 model year) and 89,000 RAV4 V6 (2007 – 2009 model year) vehicles involved in the United States.

Last year, Toyota also announced phases one and two of this LSC on approximately 342,200 Toyota Avalon (model year 2005 – 2006), Camry (2007 – early 2010) and RAV4 V6 (2006 model year), and 374,000 Lexus ES 350 (model year 2007-2008) and RX 350 (model year 2007-2009) vehicles.

Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a LSC notification by first class mail.

Toyota dealers will replace the VVT-i Oil Hose with a newly designed one at NO CHARGE to the customer. The repair will take approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

This Limited Service Campaign will be offered until March 31, 2013.

If an owner has any immediate concerns they are requested to contact their local Toyota dealer for diagnosis, and if applicable, repair.

Last edited:
Keep the Buick, save your money and buy a new one. Used cars are a waste of time.

If you take the $15k you were going to spend, add $5k a year to it for say three years your Buick will be pretty old and you will have $30k to spend on a car.

Take the $30k plunk it down on a new Avalon built EXACTLY the way you want it, finance the few bucks it is above that $30k, and drive it for the next 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Keep the Buick, save your money and buy a new one. Used cars are a waste of time.

If you take the $15k you were going to spend, add $5k a year to it for say three years your Buick will be pretty old and you will have $30k to spend on a car.

Take the $30k plunk it down on a new Avalon built EXACTLY the way you want it, finance the few bucks it is above that $30k, and drive it for the next 10-15 years.

I agree. I like cheap used cars, like 5 grand or less, or straight to brand new. If you take care of it and drive it a long time, brand new is very worth it.

I completely agree. The market dynamics have changed completely and only used cars which make financial sense are the one around $5K mark.

Instead of buying 2006 Avalon, you would be buying 2016 Avalon in three years. Keep on making the payment to yourself and you would have the extra $15K.

I'd suggest making this deal as simple as possible. If you want to trade in the Buick, only talk about the difference - the "one number" covering all required repairs, fees of any sort, difference in value, taxes, etc. With 2 prices, both moving up and down, it's hard to keep it straight.

What they charge for the Toyota and what they pay you for your Buick is fairly immaterial. [They will have to give you a purchase receipt which will indicate how they arrived at the "one number". And the price you are said to have paid might not be ideal if you wreck the car in a few weeks, but then you're not going to do that.]

Aside from that, buy an Avalon privately and sell the Buick privately. Probably get a better car at a fair price. But may take a while.

Ecotourist

Originally Posted By: dareo
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I agree. I like cheap used cars, like 5 grand or less, or straight to brand new. If you take care of it and drive it a long time, brand new is very worth it.

A new vehicle is only a poor investment if your going to trade it in, in 2-3 years. If your the kind of person who keeps their vehicles at least 10 years if not longer, than your better off buying new.

That way its not pre screwed up! Also over the lifetime of the vehicle your not saving much buying used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back