5W/10W-30 instead of 5W-20 in Ford 4.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6L AWD SUV.
It states to use MC 5W-20 but I still feel that weight oil is to thin for the big engine, big SUV. I was wondering if theres a huge negative difference if I were to use a 5W ot 10W 30 oil. My truck just passed the 100K mark. Idk why I want to use 10W-30 but I want feedback.

Well I certainly wouldn't use a 10w rated oil even in the much warmer regions of northern Illinois (as opposed to the much colder Southern Wisconsin I have to deal with). But there are plenty of 5w-30 oils, I'm sure you could find one that you'd be happy with. I really doubt you would notice the fuel economy difference on what is, sorry to say, probably not a rig designed for fuel economy in the first place.

Will it work? Sure.

Our '97 pickup used to get 5W-30 (sometimes 10W) years ago until I started doing all the work on our vehicles and realized it had been backspeced to 20 grade.

Once switching to 0W-20 and 5W-20 at 170,000 miles, it immediately stopped this ticking sound, and I noticed a solid 1/2 mpg improvement, a good 4% gain. Engine seems somewhat peppier too, although I don't have a way to quantify that.

I just think in my mind a 10W will be tbicker and wont thin down. Fuel economy isnt an issue for me tbis truck gets 17Hwy snd 13 city.

I agree with the other responses; 5W-20 was specified for the engine and you will not gain anything by switching to another viscosity like 5W-30 or 10W-30. It is colder where you are and that should be one of the deciding factors to not use 10W-30. I have 122K on my 5.4L and have ran 5W-20 for that entire time with great results and now am running 0W-20. I have towed and done all things "4x4 truck" and it runs as well now as it did 100K ago--stick with xW-20 and sleep well.

Ive noticed also noticed that in my dilstick it marks the oil level at the minimum line. And I had jusy done an oil change 2 weeks go. I dont dmell oil burning or any leaks engine looks clean and no blue smoke innthe exhaust.

There's no need to run a 10W30. 5W30 would be fine but realistically, the 5W20 will work perfectly well for you in summer and winter. I have towed twice the weight of your rig across the country with a 5.4L using conventional 5W20, so running a 20wt in wwinter is no problem.

Actually, if you look at the specs of some oils (Mobil 1 springs to mind) the 5w-30 is actually thicker than the 10w-30 at normal operating temps.

I currently have 5W-20 QS Defy with MC oil filter. I did the OC on the last day of november. From the 1st to 15 ive traveled to Minneapolis and to cleveland (Go Bears) and I check my oil level on the 16 it was just at the minimum line of the dipstick. Theres no oil light on and the truck says oil pressure is fine. What should I think of this? Is there oil missing? I addrd 6 quarts. Like I saod I dont smell any oil burning or any leaks. I dont think the oil can evaporate can it?

Originally Posted By: JAM25
I currently have 5W-20 QS Defy with MC oil filter. I did the OC on the last day of november. From the 1st to 15 ive traveled to Minneapolis and to cleveland (Go Bears) and I check my oil level on the 16 it was just at the minimum line of the dipstick. Theres no oil light on and the truck says oil pressure is fine. What should I think of this? Is there oil missing? I addrd 6 quarts. Like I saod I dont smell any oil burning or any leaks. I dont think the oil can evaporate can it?

So you drove 2,000 miles and were surprised that it used 1/2 quart?

We have ran many 5.4s and 6.8s on everything from 0w20 - 15w40 without a single issue.

I see no reason to switch out the 5w20 for that minor consumption, but if a 30 makes you feel better go for it.

Up your way I'd stick with 5W-20 for winter and 5W-30 summer, I only change once a year so both of my modulars get 5W-30 year round... I've used 10W-30 & 10w-40 in three older 4.6, none ever complained...

Originally Posted By: JAM25
I just think in my mind a 10W will be tbicker and wont thin down.
False. It will be slightly thicker at cold startup, but once it reaches operating temp it's still a 30-grade.

It's your car. Use what makes you happy, just don't be surprised when nothing changes.

Go ahead and go for the 5w-30 if it makes ou sleep better at night. I've run 5w-40 and even 50 in my 4.6. Made no difference other than it made less top end noise.

A mate with an 07 CR-V 2.2 cdti got an improvement of a couple of mpg when i chsnged out the oil put in by Honda and added a low HTHS A5/B5 oil. Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE.

When doing it again today we had an old container of the same oil and after adding the full 5 litres we considered adding a little to get it right on the max level.

I then noticed it was darker in colour. When we checked the label it was only A1/B1 with Ford spec 913A and 913 B.

The newer one was also 913C.

I suspect it is due to the formulation now having reduced saps (0.8). Just not low enough to also be a C1 oil which i think is mesnt to be below (0.6).

I have noticed a few engines can use "normal HTHS" oil and "low HTHS" oil.

Is a possibility running the vehicle on a 5w30 but low HTHS and therefore hopefully not suffering any negative impact on fuel consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back