Revolver vs Semi Auto for carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two different opinions on what to carry, either a model 1911 in .45 with a magazine full of hollowpoints (to feel extra reassured of my stopping power and mag. capacity - probably best used indoors or other confined areas)

Or if I was feeling 'cool' and 'showoff' I' use my Pardini HPE and stop the attackers/robbers/whoever from 60 or 70 meters..

But, like anything, you pick a the tool to do the job - we could use a pair of Irwins on almost every nut and bolt on the car, but we have spanners and sockets of varying sizes, each one suited to an individual task - so think of the situation where you envisage wanting/needing to carry, an pick something appropriate.

For me, it's a .357 stainless steel snubbie with Lasergrips. I have many rounds through this gun and it is utterly reliable. I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB holster and can carry the relatively heavy revolver comfortably all day.

Originally Posted By: R_W_M
For me, it's a .357 stainless steel snubbie with Lasergrips. I have many rounds through this gun and it is utterly reliable.

Yep, same here. A S&W .357 magnum. Love it.
thumbsup2.gif

1. Carry a gun that you enjoy shooting. If you enjoy shooting it you will practice. If you practice, you will improve your skill and your self-confidence. You will not become proficient with a gun that isn't fun to shoot. Teeny-tiny guns are all the rage but they aren't much fun to actually use.

2. If you are left handed, revolvers are really awkward. The cylinder release is on the wrong side, the cylinder drops open the wrong way for reloads.

3. You need to try both and decide for yourself. Frankly, asking for others' opinions is like asking other people if you should wear boxers or briefs.

Originally Posted By: AITG
1. Carry a gun that you enjoy shooting. If you enjoy shooting it you will practice. If you practice, you will improve your skill and your self-confidence. You will not become proficient with a gun that isn't fun to shoot. Teeny-tiny guns are all the rage but they aren't much fun to actually use.

2. If you are left handed, revolvers are really awkward. The cylinder release is on the wrong side, the cylinder drops open the wrong way for reloads.

3. You need to try both and decide for yourself. Frankly, asking for others' opinions is like asking other people if you should wear boxers or briefs.

Thanks.

I'm ambidextrous. Oh and I wear boxers for the record.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
if I hit a bad guy in the chest with one round he is going down... No one is coming at you any more with that kind of pain.

Pain doesn't stop determined attackers, nor does it stop those who don't feel pain.

Read the numerous reports of perps high on PCP and what it takes to stop them.

The 1986 FBI shootout is a perfect example of how many rounds someone can take and not go down. And dont forget the Philippine Insurrection where Moro warriors took a full cylinder of 38 Long Colt and kept coming only to hack soldiers with knives and daggers before bleeding out.

What makes the 1986 FBI shoot out interesting ( among many other things) is that Platt and Matix were drug free at the time. They took multiple rounds, 9mm and .357, multiple hits and kept fighting. In fact, Platt had over a quart of blood in his chest and was still fighting as he was bleeding out internally...

A determined attacker is going to take more than the pain of a gunshot wound to be convinced to stop....

Originally Posted By: Olas
I have two different opinions on what to carry, either a model 1911 in .45 with a magazine full of hollowpoints (to feel extra reassured of my stopping power and mag. capacity - probably best used indoors or other confined areas)

Or if I was feeling 'cool' and 'showoff' I' use my Pardini HPE and stop the attackers/robbers/whoever from 60 or 70 meters..

But, like anything, you pick a the tool to do the job - we could use a pair of Irwins on almost every nut and bolt on the car, but we have spanners and sockets of varying sizes, each one suited to an individual task - so think of the situation where you envisage wanting/needing to carry, an pick something appropriate.

Olas - are you even allowed to carry a weapon in your country?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
What makes the 1986 FBI shoot out interesting ( among many other things) is that Platt and Matix were drug free at the time. They took multiple rounds, 9mm and .357, multiple hits and kept fighting. In fact, Platt had over a quart of blood in his chest and was still fighting as he was bleeding out internally...

A determined attacker is going to take more than the pain of a gunshot wound to be convinced to stop....

Makes a good argument for a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 Buck for home defense. Mine holds seven shells, and all nine .33 caliber balls fly through a 2x8 at 30 feet with a 7" pattern. The blast and impact should let any bad guy know he has been shot and end the threat faster than a handgun.

Tom NJ

While the shotgun is a fine choice, the suspects in Miami were hit several times by the FBI agents' 9mm rounds. Each round has far more impact energy than a 00 buck pellet. Matix didn't go down until the 12th round hit him. He took the equivalent damage of many shotgun rounds fired at him before stopping.

If your weapon doesn't impact CNS or cause severe internal organ damage, it will not be enough to end the fight against a determined assailant.

There can be some bad guy-sized holes in a 00 buck pattern at 15 yards...depending on how they spread...unless one of those pellets hits something important, you may still be in a fight after the 1st round is fired.

Never put your faith, your life, in the effectiveness of a particular round, or a particular number of hits. More effective rounds are always a good idea, but you must fire until the threat ends...or you risk losing the fight.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
It ain't the arrows, it's the Indian. Nothing beats training. The weapon is the warrior, don't get too wrapped up in the tools.

Smoky

^THIS!!

Even a .17HMR or a .22RF will stop an attacker in one shot if you place it between the eyes - use whatever you're comfortable with and be sure to use it effectively.

More effective rounds are always a good idea, but you must fire until the threat ends...or you risk losing the fight.

Right.

That is why we must resist all these new unconstitutional & restrictive laws.

Turk, you're right. When discussing magazine capacity with my daughter (she is in college in CT, surrounded by typical Ivy-league political correctness) right after Sandy Hook, she asked why anyone needed so many rounds in a magazine (legitimate question, actually)....she had, unintentionally, bought into the Hollywood/media myth that one bullet = one stopped bad guy. After talking through the realities of force on force gunfights, she understood my answer. I want as many rounds as that gun can possibly hold, and a spare magazine too! No one can predict how effective any one round will be. 15 rounds in a concealed Glock 19 seems reasonable...but only because I can't conceal a larger gun with more rounds!

With the right certificate, you sure are
smile.gif

I am curious, what is required to obtain that certificate?

There can be some bad guy-sized holes in a 00 buck pattern at 15 yards...depending on how they spread...unless one of those pellets hits something important, you may still be in a fight after the 1st round is fired.

Never put your faith, your life, in the effectiveness of a particular round, or a particular number of hits. More effective rounds are always a good idea, but you must fire until the threat ends...or you risk losing the fight.

Agreed! I extended the magazine on my 12 ga Remmmy 870 Tactical where its purpose is to defend the bedroom or second floor at no more than six yards. I intend to get a pistol as well with at least two 15 round mags to defend the first level. My Virginia home is extremely rural and I have to depend on myself for defense.

Tom NJ

With the right certificate, you sure are
smile.gif

I am curious, what is required to obtain that certificate?

The main points are to be able to demonstrate a valid need or reason to own the weapon, no criminal history and safe (lockable) storage for the weapon & ammunition.

Antique blackpowder stuff doesn't need certification, shotguns are section 2, centrefire and rimfire are section 1, and anything pistol/full automatic/ overall less than 24" with barrel less than 12" is section 5.

the smallprint is here;
http://content.met.police.uk/Site/firearmslicensing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back