Maintenance Dosing Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
For continual cleanliness & lubrication -- is TC-W3 the choice?

If you plan on adding something with every fill-up, then I would recommend Chevron Techron at 1/10 the strength recommended on the bottle.

The dose recommended on the bottle is for a one-time cleaning, but one tenth of that is approximately the level of Techron that Chevron puts in their pump gas.

That 1/10 dose added at every fill-up should be a great maintenance dose.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
1/10 sounds much higher than I would expect in Chevron gas. Where did this number come from? Ed

I think the reference is to 1/10th the concentration recommended on the bottle. There are different versions out there, but the latest I remember is a 12 oz bottle with a recommendation to use it for up to 15 gallons of fuel. I also remember when the 12/20 oz bottles were recommended for 12/20 gallons. So for that one it would be 1 oz for ever 10 gallons.

Techron/Regane/etc + TCW3 FTW!

Clean and lube. I prefer to run a few tanks on, then a few tanks off and play "can I detect a MPG gain" with my data. I did see some improvement with the above mix. ~ 3:1 ratio or so and ~ 1oz/3gal dose.

1/10 sounds much higher than I would expect in Chevron gas. Where did this number come from? Ed

The bottles of Techron I have are the 20 oz. bottles which indicate they will treat 20 gallons. This equals 1 oz. / gallon.

My recommendation, based on information gleaned over the years from various sources (trust it or not, it's free advice and definitely worth at least what you're paying for it) is to use 1 oz. / 10 gallons as a continuous treatment dose. This is 1/10th the dose recommended on the bottle.

What makes you think 1 oz. / 10 gallons is higher than the amount in pump gas?

Edit to add:

If you are too lazy to Google it, here's what Chevron has to say on their Techron web site:

What is the difference between Techron® at the pump and Techron Concentrate Plus in the bottle?

The principal difference is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean-up. Gasolines with Techron over multiple fill-ups will help clean deposits on intake valves and minimize harmful combustion chambers deposits. When added to a full tank of gasoline, a bottle of Techron® Concentrate Plus results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger. This mega-dose of Techron provides a much quicker clean up of intake valve deposits left by lower quality gasolines. In addition, the high concentration of Techron reduces combustion chamber deposits, which can help eliminate deposit-related engine knock.

Here's the link: Techron web site

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

The bottles of Techron I have are the 20 oz. bottles which indicate they will treat 20 gallons. This equals 1 oz. / gallon.

My recommendation, based on information gleaned over the years from various sources (trust it or not, it's free advice and definitely worth at least what you're paying for it) is to use 1 oz. / 10 gallons as a continuous treatment dose. This is 1/10th the dose recommended on the bottle.

What makes you think 1 oz. / 10 gallons is higher than the amount in pump gas?

Edit to add:

If you are too lazy to Google it, here's what Chevron has to say on their Techron web site:

What is the difference between Techron® at the pump and Techron Concentrate Plus in the bottle?

The principal difference is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean-up. Gasolines with Techron over multiple fill-ups will help clean deposits on intake valves and minimize harmful combustion chambers deposits. When added to a full tank of gasoline, a bottle of Techron® Concentrate Plus results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger. This mega-dose of Techron provides a much quicker clean up of intake valve deposits left by lower quality gasolines. In addition, the high concentration of Techron reduces combustion chamber deposits, which can help eliminate deposit-related engine knock.

Here's the link: Techron web site

I was actually thinking perhaps a little bit lower. There's already at least the EPA mandated amount of detergent in fuel. Most would be synergistic since they're similar in makeup (usually PEA).

And if you're already using a fuel that's advertised as Top Tier or that's advertised as having a high dose (Costco Clean Power) then it may not be necessary.

I pour in an oz of Redline's Fuel System Cleaner into my 13.2 gallon tank at every fill up. Even though I use Shell or BP 95% of the time, I still add the cleaner at small doses simply to add a bit more cleaning additives into the mix.

I haven't done any testing to see if it adds gas mileage due to upper cylinder lubrication because my driving style is all over the place and my average MPGs jump around -7-8 points at practically every fill up... Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back