Ipad 2 or Ipad Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I also presume that you can not buy that model without buying the cellular service, right?

Nope.

I don't purchase the cell service and the unit's GPS works just fine.

Also, I tether to the iPhone for data. So, I don't need 2 plans. However, with my plan, it's just $10/mo for 5GB data (which I'll never, ever use)

Kindle Fire if the wife isn't very tech savvy and likes to consume lots of Amazon content (books, instant video).

Google Nexus 7 or 10 if she is tech savvy and wants a pure Android experience.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 or Note 10 if she's middle of the road. The Tab is the budget version while the Note is the Cadillac version.

Quick and dirty tablet comparo:
http://www.gizmag.com/tablet-comparison-2013/29708/

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I purchased the mini with cell service, just to get the GPS feature. The 16gb base model does not have GPS.

To my knowledge, none of the Wi-Fi only iPads have GPS. You have to buy a cellular model to get GPS.

That is a marketing move by Apple that really annoys me. A GPS sensor should be a basic part of any mobile device, equipped with cellular radio or otherwise.

GPS sensor comes free with most 3G chips, but not wifi chips.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
That is a marketing move by Apple that really annoys me. A GPS sensor should be a basic part of any mobile device, equipped with cellular radio or otherwise.

I understand; it's still an intentional marketing decision on Apple's part. My Acer A100 doesn't have cellular, but has GPS. My folks' Samsung Galaxy Tab doesn't have cellular, but has GPS. In fact, I know of few tablets on the market that don't have GPS, except for Wi-Fi only Apples.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Kindle Fire if the wife isn't very tech savvy and likes to consume lots of Amazon content (books, instant video).

Google Nexus 7 or 10 if she is tech savvy and wants a pure Android experience.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 or Note 10 if she's middle of the road. The Tab is the budget version while the Note is the Cadillac version.

Quick and dirty tablet comparo:
http://www.gizmag.com/tablet-comparison-2013/29708/

I have the first generation Kindle Fire which for the most part, has been trouble free. I think I have had to "reset" it twice in the two years I have had it. The OS however, has it's flaws that could be fixed if Amazon hadn't abandoned the first generations of the the Fire. That alone scares me from purchasing the newer Kindles....that they will not upgrade the OS when newer ones come out.

Thus my next tablet will be an iPad....one day. At least Apple is good about updating the OS of their products.

I would not, however, go with an iPad Mini. Not for what they cost.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I understand; it's still an intentional marketing decision on Apple's part. My Acer A100 doesn't have cellular, but has GPS. My folks' Samsung Galaxy Tab doesn't have cellular, but has GPS. In fact, I know of few tablets on the market that don't have GPS, except for Wi-Fi only Apples.

That's interesting.
My iPad air has gps when it's connected to wifi and tethering off my phone. I've never tried the maps when it wasn't connected to either but I'll try once I'm home to see if I can locate it it on the find my iPhone app when it's unattached to the internet

Originally Posted By: Clevy
That's interesting.
My iPad air has gps when it's connected to wifi and tethering off my phone. I've never tried the maps when it wasn't connected to either but I'll try once I'm home to see if I can locate it it on the find my iPhone app when it's unattached to the internet

They have the ability to "guesstimate" where they are based on Wi-Fi location, and depending on the source of the signal, it can be decent. It generally doesn't update very well, and isn't useful for true location-dependent apps (like mapping). It is, however, good enough for location-aware services like weather current conditions and location-based ads if those are enabled on your device.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
That's interesting.

They have the ability to "guesstimate" where they are based on Wi-Fi location, and depending on the source of the signal, it can be decent. It generally doesn't update very well, and isn't useful for true location-dependent apps (like mapping). It is, however, good enough for location-aware services like weather current conditions and location-based ads if those are enabled on your device.

Well it guesstimates my position well enough that it is accurate to a couple of feet at most. Heck when I zoom in its accurate to whether I'm in the kitchen,bathroom and bedrooms.

And I tried it with wifi off and the dot still follows me around the house.

And when its tethered I use it for navigation when I'm unsure of the fastest route thru new cities.
If its guessing then I'm seriously impressed

Last edited:
I was Googling on how to use a tether to use navigation on an iPad and saw several YouTube videos where folks were getting that to work. That certainly wasn't our experience with it (an iPad 4th generation tethered to an iPhone 4S), but it looks cool for you guys who get it to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back