Difference between proper/improper lug nut torque!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction
In the last 12 years I have loosened by hand, and torqued by hand over 42,000 lug nuts. It always ruins my day when I have to struggle with abused lug nuts. If more tire shops would just try and be careful and spend a couple extra minutes doing it right, instead of seeing how fast they can do it/trash it, it would help everyone out in the long run. Especially, stranded by the side of the road with a flat, it's dark,raining, a holiday, and the lug nuts are rounded off, by some doofus that thinks they have to use a air wrench on everything.

Okay, I think I see what you mean. I rotated the tires on a 2012 Civic last weekend. This particular vehicle had steel wheels and traditional wheel covers. Due to this design, the lug nut "area" was not covered and I had a better view of what's going on.

With the accutorq sticks, the socket itself is not deep enough and seems to slowly round off the flats. But this only occurs if you hammer on them for a while. If you use the sticks judiciously then it may become a non-issue.

Nevertheless, I do see your point and can see how this can potentially be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back