I may switch to conventional because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Are we really debating about spending an extra $8 every 5,000 to 7,500 miles?

Do you usually choose the best-in-class option for all of your other automotive purchases?

Do you buy premium tires, OE brakes and OE parts for your repairs?

These are all questions you should be asking yourself when making this decision...

I don't understand.

My point was -- if you have no issue spending money for the "best" parts for your car, then what's the problem with spending a few extra dollars for the best oil? It is such a small expense compared to the other costs.

Your fallacy is using the words "best oil". Best oil for what? That money can buy? For low temp startup protection? For high temp deposit formation? In his application, the realized benefit of a high quality synthetic are nil. Except that it costs more. So why spend the extra money? It's like springing for premium octane when all your car needs is 87. As dnewton3 said, what is the ROI?

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

Your fallacy is using the words "best oil". Best oil for what? That money can buy? For low temp startup protection? For high temp deposit formation? In his application, the realized benefit of a high quality synthetic are nil. Except that it costs more. So why spend the extra money? It's like springing for premium octane when all your car needs is 87. As dnewton3 said, what is the ROI?

That was my point exactly. In many cases, it is difficult to measure the ROI between a premium and a mid-grade product.

It is a question of risk - am I more likely to develop varnish, deposits and oil consumption from 7500 miles on bulk dino versus 7500 miles on a premium-grade synthetic? Yes. But what are the chances of your engine having an issue? That's the difficult part to measure.

I love to change oil too but I'm doing the one year Amsoil thing now. To make up for the loss of wrench turning I started changing oil for friends and family and work on chainsaws too. I have thought about going cheap on oil so I could change it more but I like Amsoil too much.

Originally Posted By: yougoJAY
Originally Posted By: yougoJAY
I just went down to the garage and checked the oil on both cars...I feel better now

Haha. Well I'm nearing the 5k mark... I may just have to change the filter and then add some fresh oil to scratch the itch
thumbsup2.gif

I like the 5,000 mile mark for oil changes & also don't feel guilty especially finding quality quarts for 2 or 3 dollars each. Between the 2 cars (even tho they don't accumulate mileage) and a lawn mower & power washer, I can change the oil on SOMETHING!

Can you believe I've actually considered buying ANOTHER car so I could change the oil on it too? I mean among other cool benefits, but hey...it's another oil change, right?

You only live ONCE!
I had 3 cars for years, 2 Summer drivers & I always got a winter 'beater' while the other 2 sat garaged...Chicago (Northern) winters are (were) terrible on cars..between the salt & freezing/thawing action. I would never drive a new car or mint muscle car in the winter, no way. I need to start changing co-workers oil in the parking lot at work!

Originally Posted By: redtrucker610
I can't take reading this thread any longer. I'm going outside to change my oil now!

I'm six weeks into an OCI and literally wanna change mine this weekend out of shear pleasure. I'm not going to, because that'd be stupid, but man do I have the urge...
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back