Store Greeter Puts Out Car Fire , Gets Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Since nothing bad happened here, the business should just reprimand him. But, I suppose this would set a precedence also.

As noted in the article, this wasn't the guy's first policy violation for this type of situation. He had previously attempted to chase down a shoplifter.

Meijer reprimanded him then and he continued employment with the company.

Good or bad, we all know why large stores have such policies. Meijer gave the guy a warning, which is more than most would do. How many chances does somebody get and how long does a store keep around an employee who doesn't listen?

As bad as lawsuits are people who knowingly do stupid things, things that will get them fired, and when they do get fired, run to the media for sympathy. I guess it's cheaper to attempt to shame a company into rehiring you through the press than it is to actually hire a lawyer.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Since nothing bad happened here, the business should just reprimand him. But, I suppose this would set a precedence also.

As noted in the article, this wasn't the guy's first policy violation for this type of situation. He had previously attempted to chase down a shoplifter.

Meijer reprimanded him then and he continued employment with the company.

Good or bad, we all know why large stores have such policies. Meijer gave the guy a warning, which is more than most would do. How many chances does somebody get and how long does a store keep around an employee who doesn't listen?

As bad as lawsuits are people who knowingly do stupid things, things that will get them fired, and when they do get fired, run to the media for sympathy. I guess it's cheaper to attempt to shame a company into rehiring you through the press than it is to actually hire a lawyer.

Putting out a car fire is stupid? Ok????

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Locally we have a billion dollar inexpensive supermarket chain owned privately by very greek family. They are actually proud of their employees who tackle shoplifters at a certain location. It is constantly in the newspaper.

The owners are a riot. I believe they are the only billion dollar company without a corporate webpage!

Please be assured that this was not a random decision... We have well-established safety procedures for emergency situations and we train all team members on those procedures. These procedures help ensure the safety of everyone – both customers and team members, and our team members know there are consequences when they don't follow them.

KEY WORDS TO MAKE EVERYONE FEEL GOOD AND BE "ALL INCLUDED":

TEAM. MEMBERS.

what the, I mean come on, I know a few top tier mgrs at Meijer, I have to write corp and tell them how ridiculous their policies are.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I and another poster mentioned that we both would clock out and do the good deed on our own time. Does anyone know what a company's typical reaction would be to this way of handling the situation?
They might call it AWOL.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
what the, I mean come on, I know a few top tier mgrs at Meijer, I have to write corp and tell them how ridiculous their policies are.

I'd love to see that letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back