Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5w-30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell it's been over 9 years since a VOA has been posted for this oil. Viscosity is on the high side for the grade, with lots of P, Zn, and Ca. According to Amsoil's literature HTHSV is 3.5 cP and NOACK is 8.6%. This is the first time I've used any Amsoil product. I have about 7000 miles on this oil in my ALH Jetta now. I'll report back with a UOA after 10k miles.

Link to Amsoil's data sheet: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1301.pdf

Page_1_AMS_HDD.jpg

No moly, no boron, no thank you...I know thats not all that matters, but in my cars engine those certainly make a difference. No doubt this is a good oil though.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No moly, no boron, no thank you...I know thats not all that matters, but in my cars engine those certainly make a difference.

I'd like to know how you know that Mo & B make a difference in your engines.

Unimpressive based on the numbers listed in the report. Must be their secret base stock that makes it a premium price oil. Would the secret base stock or hidden ingredients be unicorn blood and the tears from endangered sea turtles?

Last edited:
Am surprised there's no Moly in HDD... but there's ~150ppm of Moly in the Amsoil Signature Series!

It begs the question...... Which oil is more "Stout"? HDD or the Sig Series??

Looking forward to some insight on this.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
No moly, no boron, no thank you...I know thats not all that matters, but in my cars engine those certainly make a difference.

This guy gets it.

Guys - It's a "traditional" HDEO. Mo and B not required in the least. And yes there are many additives not pictured up in a $25 VOA.

Tell me, what are the minimum elemental ppms that make an oil truly magical mystical in your expert minds?

Originally Posted By: Turk

It begs the question...... Which oil is more "Stout"? HDD or the Sig Series??

Looking forward to some insight on this.

I don't have a lot of technical insight, so I'll offer my observation and opinion. I think looking at HDD versus Sig Series is an apples to oranges comparison. They have very different approvals and are intended for different applications. AFAIK, Sig Series is not recommended or approved for diesel service. HDD is a diesel oil that is also rated API SL and SJ. HDD is specifically marketed for pre-2007 diesels, so as Pablo said, this is a "traditional" HDEO.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Phishin

This guy gets it.

Guys - It's a "traditional" HDEO. Mo and B not required in the least. And yes there are many additives not pictured up in a $25 VOA.

Tell me, what are the minimum elemental ppms that make an oil truly magical mystical in your expert minds?

Good explanation, Pablo. Thank you!

A great oil for the OP's application and a great oil for turbo Subaru owner's that want to run manly oils.
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

There have been a couple good WRX uoa's posted here on HDD.

-Dennis

I have seen this formula work very well, especiall with high fuel dilutes and other contaminants. If you're havng troubles with a PCMO, you might give this a try.

Consider another thing: If you need a 5W30 for older engines, why not this oil instead of the HM junk on the shelves?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Consider another thing: If you need a 5W30 for older engines, why not this oil instead of the HM junk on the shelves?

I assume you're going to elaborate on this. At least I hope you do.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Or buy the cheaper Castrol made BMW 5W-30, that's is intended for gas engines and does contain moly and boron.

I've seen the BMW Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w-30 sell for between $8.80 (eBay) and around $10.00 (Amazon, and some on line Euro parts retailers) per quart. The import repair shop I use sells it for $10 per quart. For comparison, I paid $8.60 per quart for the Amsoil, so I wouldn't say the Castrol is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Or buy the cheaper Castrol made BMW 5W-30, that's is intended for gas engines and does contain moly and boron.

I've seen the BMW Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w-30 sell for between $8.80 (eBay) and around $10.00 (Amazon, and some on line Euro parts retailers) per quart. The import repair shop I use sells it for $10 per quart. For comparison, I paid $8.60 per quart for the Amsoil, so I wouldn't say the Castrol is cheaper.

I don't know why anyone would want to pay more than the $7.58/qt that BMW charges for their 5W-30 unless you can't get to a BMW dealership.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I assume you're going to elaborate on this. At least I hope you do.

That was somewhat of a tongue in-cheek comment.

Seriously, the HM oils out there, especially the Mobil 1 synthetic HMs are good stuff.

I was merely suggesting a robust alternative to OTC HM oils since this oil has a moderate-to-high level of ZDDP anti-wear, high tbn, and a good portion of VHVI synthetic base oils for low shear.

Last edited:
Okay, just wondering. Some of us have gotten a little suspicious with a few of the HM oils switching to SN/GF-5. After all, if a regular SM/GF-5 is criticized as weak, at least in the marketing for HM oils, then what does that say about a HM oil in SN/GF-5 that costs a premium?

And I'd certainly agree, this would be a fine oil for older engines!

And we have to remember that, even though there appears to be a "weak" additive showing, there are other unseen chemistries being used to supplement conventional additive agents.

Absolutely. What I was getting at was more the marketing hinting that ILSAC lubes were "weak" rather than believing such a thing myself. Obviously, the marketing issue was phosphorous limits, to claim diminished ZDDP content. That involves at least three assumptions: first, that all ZDDP is exactly the same; secondly, that there are no other decent AW compounds; third, that these earlier lubes all had high ZDDP content that exceeded today's limits.

It does make me wonder. Take MaxLife for example. How many sales for classics did they lose to Defy thanks to now being GF-5, and how many did they gain on newer, warranty-covered vehicles thanks to being GF-5?

Originally Posted By: R80RS

I don't know why anyone would want to pay more than the $7.58/qt that BMW charges for their 5W-30 unless you can't get to a BMW dealership.

Said the guy who buys Sustina.

Everyone wants a good deal, but I don't select my oils based solely on the absolute lowest cost option I can find. There's a decade of favorable experience of VW ALH diesels running Amsoil HDD backed up by UOA data. I can't imagine why I'd want to run the "cheaper Castrol made BMW 5W-30, that's is intended for gas engines" just to save $1.02 per quart solely because it has Mo and B.

Besides, I haven't set foot in a BMW dealership since the warranty on my R80 expired back in the '80s, with no plans to do so again any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back