Official Toyota Oil Recommendation Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: virginoil

Your Toyota chart is not official in Australia.

Your observational skills are OUTSTANDING!!!

Was it the part in my very first post where I stated that I got the chart from Toyota CANADA that tipped you off??

virginoil: Does Toyota/Australia have an official oil chart for the various engines (by model year). If so, could you please post it. For those of us who own Toyota vehicles that are beyond the warranty mileage, it would be beneficial to know what viscosity ranges Toyota states are acceptable for their engines. If we had access to this information, we would have Canada, U.S. & Australia's information, and we could choose for ourselves, based on a more complete picture of what the manufacturer of our vehicular engines states is recommended, bsed at least in part on climate and temperature.

Let's say you have two weights of the same brand. You have Edge 5W30 and 5W20. Does one have more film strength that the other? Does the 5W30 shear down to a 20 anyway? My 4Runner V8 is super easy on oil. I have been using 5W30. I see no reason to switch to 5W20 but was curious to know about film strength and staying in grade for the two. I can easily see the benefit of 5W20 is super cold climates. Even though I live in Colorado, I don't consider it really cold here- not in the Denver area anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
I can easily see the benefit of 5W20 is super cold climates.

You do? Over the 5W-30 you're now using?

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
virginoil: Does Toyota/Australia have an official oil chart for the various engines (by model year). If so, could you please post it. For those of us who own Toyota vehicles that are beyond the warranty mileage, it would be beneficial to know what viscosity ranges Toyota states are acceptable for their engines. If we had access to this information, we would have Canada, U.S. & Australia's information, and we could choose for ourselves, based on a more complete picture of what the manufacturer of our vehicular engines states is recommended, bsed at least in part on climate and temperature.

Don't know if there is such a thing for Oz but this is a typical toyota manual. I have confirmed the same chart is in a 05 camry 2AZ-FE and '11 V6 highlander with the 2GR-FE.

in my 2AZ-FE i have used, 5w-30, 10w-30 and 15w-40, and intend to use 15w-40 NextGen next time. My climate fits in with what the 20w-50 range is, and then some, never freezes here and perhaps 2 days out of 365 below 40 deg F.

DSC06374.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: virginoil

Your Toyota chart is not official in Australia.

Your observational skills are OUTSTANDING!!!

Was it the part in my very first post where I stated that I got the chart from Toyota CANADA that tipped you off??

Perhaps you have stated that in the title of your thread.

Crinkles has provided the info, I made the statement to draw attention that over here 5w30 is about thinnest grade that is readily available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: D189379
Charts like this make me wonder if Toyota even understands how oil grades work.

I know right?

No, I was thinking about 0W20 for some reason. I don't think the lighter viscosity of 5W20 will be an advantage in my case. I could see a benefit using 0W20 or 0W30 in really cold climates. I would not use 5W20 over my 5W30. I'd use 0W30 over 0W20 (in really cold climates) unless I could see that 0W20 was more shear stable.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
I can easily see the benefit of 5W20 is super cold climates.

You do? Over the 5W-30 you're now using?

For my 1NZ-FXE the manual states 5W30 as the only oil regardless of temps or seasons. However underneath the graph picture it states "Please contact your Toyota dealer for further details." Interesting quote....

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
and the real question is
at the Toyota dealer "lube center"
how many oils does the lube tech have a choice of?
I bet they only use bulk from a hose- quicker, less waste(cans) and cheaper, and easier to load into the dealership.
I would not be surprised if the aveargae dealer has only one oil choice or at best two
someone here on the forum must know
whats the answer?
============
and I may just keep using 5w 30 as the 2004 owners manual says- these backwards compatible administrative decisions scare me

I'm getting our corolla serviced tomorrow for its toyotacare freebie so i'll ask our dealer.

Originally Posted By: dino33
For my 1NZ-FXE the manual states 5W30 as the only oil regardless of temps or seasons. However underneath the graph picture it states "Please contact your Toyota dealer for further details." Interesting quote....

...because each dealer has it's own "flavor of the month" when it comes to 5w-30 conventional...Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil among others...

I've also read that even 0w-20 "served up" at your OC service is not necessarily TGMO...so yes, if you must know, you must ask (if they don't note it on your invoice, as some do and others don't)...

Last edited:
Re: this chart and the Prius..... I don't understand the logic for the G1 and G2? If its okay to run Toyota 0w20 in the G2 why can't it be run in the G1 (2001-2003). It's the same engine!

:-o

toyotaoilrecommendation.jpg

[/quote]

Also confusing is the 0w20 streak for the Avalon from 2000-2004 and Camry V6 from 2000-2006. How does that happen?

It is interesting that some of their cars still allow for a 5w oil and one requires it. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back