Snowmobile 2T fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a couple older Yamaha sleds ('97,'02)..the redhead triple ones..anyway one backfires on a hot start the other slightly burbles thru mid-range rpm 3-5k of 8.5k I suspect the carbs, Last year ran non-ethanol 91 and Marine Stabil..these units seem to run good..I don't worry they won't start or get me home I want the carbs clean without the time, expense or aggravation of tearing them off then apart..so

What fuel additive or chemical and dose gives me the best bang to insure these carbs are clear?

TIA

Nothing. Cleaning them requires a bit of work. You gotta saddle up cowboy. Suck it up. Only elbow grease is gonna work. Get busy.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Nothing. Cleaning them requires a bit of work. You gotta saddle up cowboy. Suck it up. Only elbow grease is gonna work. Get busy.

I'm willing to try a safe dose of acetone or anything prior to carb rebuild....worried about lean meltdown..12 gal tanks

Last edited:
Usually you can get away with removing the bowls and cleaning pilot and main jets and also remove the air and/or fuel screws (if equipped) and spray in there too with spray cleaner. It's only in cases where the carbs are really gunked up that you need to completely disassemble them. Otherwise, I agree with Phishin, roll your sleeves up and dive in. The best thing you can do is make it part of your pre-season routine. I always did my carbs in late fall, just before the snow flew. They were always clean, so a rinse with spray clean and shop air kept them working perfect.

As for spray cleaner, Berryman's B12 spray cleaner is about the best I've seen so far.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

I'm willing to try a safe dose of acetone or anything prior to carb rebuild....worried about lean meltdown..12 gal tanks

I would not use acetone alone as it will melt some plastics and rubber compounds.

You try this before a carb rebuild:

Berryman's Motor Tune-Up

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I would not use acetone alone as it will melt some plastics and rubber compounds.

You try this before a carb rebuild:

Berryman's Motor Tune-Up

I'll try this because it's $3.99 and opinions are it's stronger than SeaFoam which I already have in stock..is it normally available at major auto part stores?

What fuel additive or chemical and dose gives me the best bang to insure these carbs are clear?

I take it you're looking for something that can be poured in the tank? If so:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=116&pcid=12

"Compatible with both pump gas and race fuel, pre-mixed or injected two-strokes"

This is the same thing as their SI-1 product (just a smaller bottle), which is highly regarded and well discussed on the forum here.

Motorcraft Carburetor tune-up cleaner PM-3 FIR No 159220

MSDS:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us159220us.pdf

Directions say not to mix with fuel..please someone take a look and opine on if thats just a epa or carb regulation..I know this product works

Must be able to burn eventually if you pouring it down the carb..wonder why they advise not to add to fuel..toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back