Wire Rope Recommendation for Winch

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great thing about this forum is that there are interested members with qualified opinions about almost any industrial topic. No wonder I ask all my questions here!

My old Warn 6000 winch still has its original wire rope cable. It's got some kinks and a slight bit of fraying due to age and wear and I'd like to replace it.

It's 5/16" aircraft grade, about 100'. Warn wants $100+ for a replacement.

eBay offers a much discounted one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-x-100-ft-Ga...0f1&vxp=mtr

Will this serve as well as the Warn standard replacement? Any way to tell if this is the same quality?

Definitely thinking about it, but the winch doesn't get a lot of use and the truck lives outside. I'm not sure I can justify the increased cost. I also have a nice big snatch block so using that would be my strategy if I had to pull something really heavy.

What brand of synthetic line would you recommend?

That cable looks fine. Syn line is OK, and many use it without issue, but typically the hardcore guys stick with cable, as it holds up better to jagged rocks and such.

Personally, I wheel on stuff you cant walk on, so steel cable is a no brainer for me. There is a weight penalty and safety concern, but if you use your head, all is well.

On a limited use truck that's stored outside, I would buy steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back