Taurus 3.0 Vulcan 255K Oil Suggestions 4 300k

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,
The 02 Taurus has 255k on the vulcan. P/O (my friend) had Napa oil + cheapest filters known to man used at 5k OCI from mom and pop RF. I received it at 170k, and have been going for 5k OCI with M1 5w-20. Overkill?? Not on the OCI, but the oil? I know MC 5w-20 is good stuff.
Mt thoughts are its consuming oil at a normal rate of .8Q / 3k.

What are your experienced suggestions for future oil use in this hm motor. I NEED it to go past 3k.

Long highway trips of close to 300 miles a day, 5 days a week. Followed by s&g abuse on the weekends. I put 35k a year average.

TIA

My daily driver is a 2002 Ford Taurus with the same 3.0 Vulcan engine.
I did 3,000 mile OCI's from mom-and-pop service stations for years, before I found this site.
It currently has 197,000 miles on it. Probably near everything was bulk 10w30, maybe an occasional 5w20.
I've run a 10,000 mile OCI with full synthetics twice, both times doing several long trips in the Air Force.

In the past year I've had the oil pan gasket and the timing chain cover gasket replaced, the water pump was going out, so it was the best time to do it all.

Now it does not leak or consume any oil. Pretty amazing considering it used to burn/leak 1 quart every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. (It used to leak a few drops on a cat under the oil pan and it would stink at stop lights.)

It sounds like it is very well taken care of.
I'm planning on going through my stash of Chevron 10w30 and moving to a 0w20 in the not to distant future.
At that point in time I plan on running a few 7,500 mile OCI's and seeing how things are panning out. If they are good I will bump them out to 10,000-12,000 miles.

I love changing oil, and I don't have much time anymore, and we are talking about planning a family. So the idea of extended oil changes are IN.

If I were you I'd just stick to what you are doing and run an UOA to see how things are going, you can probably bump the interval out longer.

The Vulcan is a really tough engine.
Just be sure to service the Transmission. Mine loves Valvoline Maxlife, although SuperTech Mercon V works very well also.

Transmission services are the most important part of the service of the cars.. Just run whatever ya find.. Personally I'd run supertech synthetic or high mileage, around 5-7k miles..

Originally Posted By: Red91
Kendall GT-1 or OS Defy. Both should do well at 4K-5K OCI's.
[censored] I would run conventional whatever for 4-5k

I put 354K on a Vulcan in a Ranger using M1 10-30 with 10-14K OCIs. Engine ran great and never had the valve covers off.

I think you are not getting your money's worth out of the M1. Personally, I would stick with the oil but up the OCI to 7500 miles. Then take a UOA and increase incrementally from there.

If you want to stick with 5k OCIs I would use Super 5k and save a few bucks.

I agree with the post suggesting keeping the transmission serviced. The transmissions on those cars will give out long before the Vulcan with a little neglect.

The Vulcan is just about the easiest engine on TBN ever made 10k with synthetic is cake. Seen plenty of valve cover pics at Taurus car club with even long conventional changes netting almost zeroes varnish.

Also I encourage you to use the Motorcraft Fl400s if possible since it's such a great bang for the buck. I used to buy PureOne 20195s but they are over kill.

thanks for the info. Great points made by all, and yes, I'll be running the OCI's out to 75-10k.
Great point in the ATF with these cars. Changed every 10k (vac extractor), and a new filter every 30k ish.
Yeah I use the motorcraft filters, $3.79 at wally's!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back