Ipad 2 or Ipad Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... looking at possibly getting my wife an Ipad for Christmas. Was looking at refurbs... a refurb Ipad2 or a new Mini... what are your opinions???

If it was for me I'd get a Galaxy or Google Nexus, but its for the wife
smile.gif

Was looking on ebay.. Ipad 2 32gb wifi for $299.

Dont bother with the mini,

if you need something small they are MUCH better android options, every single one costs atlease 100 dollars less, you can even grab older ones for half price of the mini.

Only the regular Ipad makes sense.

I am looking at a mini right now (non-retina) and I find myself expanding the screen a lot.

Unless you travel, full sized is the way to go.

I had an I-Pad from work (gave it to my mother) and have 2 mini's for my kids. I myself have the Galaxy 10.1 note and I like it MUCH better than the Apple. Just my opinion, but I would at least look at a Galaxy before making the purchase.

Does she intend to attempt to replace or mostly replace a desktop PC or laptop? If so a full size tablet is the way to go, IMO. If not, if she uses it mostly for reading or browsing Facebook or whatever, I think the smaller tablets are great because they're easier to hold.

Don't worry about the Android stuff, go with the mini, especially is this is her first tablet. $299 is a good deal. And battery lasts 10-12 hours, very good indeed.

If you can swing the extra $$, I strongly suggest running with the iPad Mini Retina (the new one) for $399. A superior product in many ways.

I bought a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 about a year after it was released for a decent price. While it has been acceptable in terms of what it can do, I wouldn't call the experience of using it to be particularly pleasant. Even a year out it feels sluggish and slow, and it crashes and hangs frequently.

My wife's year old iPad, however.... feels great, still very snappy and responsive. I've had my Android tablet for maybe six months and I already want to replace it.

So maybe keep that in mind if you're considering one of the cheaper Android tablets. I can't say for sure if the new iPad Mini will feel so crummy in a year, but from what I can tell Apple is far better at managing native software loads on their hardware so users have a good experience for at least a few years after their product is released.

lol.. hopefully she does not search and find this post, but I scored a nearly mint condition Ipad 2 wifi 64gb for a good price on ebay
smile.gif

I have an iPad 2. My mil has a mini. Having used both, I'd go for a mini. The keyboard on the iPad screen is still smaller than normal, but the form factor and weight makes the mini nicer to use. That might change now with the air, but if you're shopping refurbs, that doesn't really apply.

I have an iPad 2 and I bought my wife the mini. For some productivity, I prefer the larger screen, and for other things I prefer the mini. If you want a regular iPad 2 I have one in mint condition 32gb wifi (White) for sale!

Mini retina and ipad air are so much faster than the [non 64 bit] ipads that i consider them the only [IOS] options to purchase today.

Eventually, it will be 64 bit IOS devices that are useable and old obsolete 32 bit devices that are thrown away.

I have both an iPad 2 and iPad mini. I like the mini better due to the incredibly small size. I now travel with it exclusively.

The iPad 2 is nice, due to the larger size, but I find that it's double the size and weight. To me, that's no advantage.

I purchased the mini with cell service, just to get the GPS feature. The 16gb base model does not have GPS. And, I use it as a backup navigation for my Cessna. Works wonderfully.

I do use the iPad 2 around the house, and when I need to display "maintenance manual" pages when out in the hangar. It's better for that.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I purchased the mini with cell service, just to get the GPS feature. The 16gb base model does not have GPS.

To my knowledge, none of the Wi-Fi only iPads have GPS. You have to buy a cellular model to get GPS.

That is a marketing move by Apple that really annoys me. A GPS sensor should be a basic part of any mobile device, equipped with cellular radio or otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I purchased the mini with cell service, just to get the GPS feature. The 16gb base model does not have GPS. And, I use it as a backup navigation for my Cessna. Works wonderfully.

That's exactly what a friend bought his iPad mini for, his Cessna flying. He loves the lightweight of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back