Can I skip filter change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 6k on NAPA synthetic and NAPA Gold filter. Darn, it's cold out. I'd really just like to hit the fumoto valve, dump the oil and replace. Is that filter good to go a few more miles till it warms up outside?

Last edited:
Our 94 integra hada 7500 mile OCI and the filter was to be changed every other oil change. I typically changed it each time, but we did skip some, and found that the OCI and filter interval were perfectly fine, at least when using a premium filter (I used pure ones a lot on that car).

I wouldnt worry about it.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
What's the weather like in Iowa today?

Cloudy with some light flurries. Were starting a heat wave though, its 21F right now and rising. We will be in the 30s for two days this week!!!

On a clean engine, the filters can definitely last 2-3 oil change cycles. Honda recommended 20K mile oil filter change intervals for years and that was never a problem.

I actually think it is a good idea to change the filter every other. Saves money, resources, and doesn't harm anything

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I actually think it is a good idea to change the filter every other. Saves money, resources, and doesn't harm anything

Most things I've read say its helpful because filtration improves as the filter pores fill. Plus, you're leaving ~1/2qt of heat-activated additives...plus you won't have a dry start if you didn't drain the old filter.

My MINI has ~15k mile oil change intervals with one filter. Most UOA's show the oil is pretty well toast after that so my regimen is 7,5k oil and 15k filter. The Buick goes ~11k so it gets oil & filter...until somebody comes out with a 25k mi filter!

This is sorta screwing with my head now.

I thought before I read that one could change just the filter, but now I'm reading that you _could_ change just the oil?

"Not changing your oil is like taking a shower & not changing your underwear." - mr. Cooley (CNet on Cars)

Yes.
And?
wink.gif

Actually it isn't the same, because a filter holds the dirt in suspension (to prevent it from re-entering the engine). Your underwear does not Mr. Cooley.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Most things I've read say its helpful because filtration improves as the filter pores fill. Plus, you're leaving ~1/2qt of heat-activated additives...plus you won't have a dry start if you didn't drain the old filter.

My MINI has ~15k mile oil change intervals with one filter. Most UOA's show the oil is pretty well toast after that so my regimen is 7,5k oil and 15k filter. The Buick goes ~11k so it gets oil & filter...until somebody comes out with a 25k mi filter!

I'm already doing 20k mi on my oversized purolator synthetic with 4 OCI.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...1_C#Post3092037

On a vehicle with a known service history and clean engine every other OCI for the filter is not problematic.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
"Not changing your oil is like taking a shower & not changing your underwear." - mr. Cooley (CNet on Cars)

Yes.
And?
wink.gif

Actually it isn't the same, because a filter holds the dirt in suspension (to prevent it from re-entering the engine). Your underwear does not Mr. Cooley.
smile.gif

Guess it depends on what you ate for lunch.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Man y'all are crazy.. Ain't no way if ever run more than 1 OCI on a filter..

X1000

A ton of bad advice here.

Once a filter is clogged it will go into bypass & stay in bypass without notification. Unless the filter is of the extended mileage type, do not go beyond your normal OCI. Doing so risks extra wear on the engine. If you don't want to change the oil & filter in the cold, bring the car to someone suitable for the change.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Man y'all are crazy.. Ain't no way if ever run more than 1 OCI on a filter..

X1000

A ton of bad advice here.

Once a filter is clogged it will go into bypass & stay in bypass without notification. Unless the filter is of the extended mileage type, do not go beyond your normal OCI. Doing so risks extra wear on the engine. If you don't want to change the oil & filter in the cold, bring the car to someone suitable for the change.

If you clog a oil filter up to the point of going into bypass in 15k miles, a oil filter change isn't going to fix that engine that is eating it's self to death.

I go 15k on my Honda with a Baldwin oil filter(two 7.5k mile oil change) and 20k miles(two 10k mile oil changes) on my GM 3.8L supercharged engine with over 250k miles on it.

ROD

I generally follow OEM specifications. Motorcraft filters aren't recommended for reuse. I wouldn't go for extended OCIs with a paper media filter, only with a filter that is designed to do so. The minimal cost makes changing the filter a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back