Amsoil ATL, ATF, Honda Z-1, D-1, Maxxlife.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is probably beating a dead horse and I'll get a lecturing but here goes anyway. My 2006 Honda Accord has 180,000 miles on it. No noticeable trans problems. Possibly a very slight shudder on occasion shifting into 2nd but could be my imagination. Atf was changed at dealer at 69,000. Fluid is looking pretty dirty, only a hint of red to it. Thinking it probably should be changed. Since Honda doesn't sell the Z-1 anymore only the DW-1 should I go with the new DW1, Amsoil ATL, or stick with the similar as original viscosity Amsoil ATF. Cost isn't a factor as I can readily get Amsoil for around the same. My inclination is to go with Amsoil ATF and some Lubegard Red? Or actually just the Amsoil OE OTF as I'm not sure that I need the Signature Series at this point in the game. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Recently did my wife's Fit with DW-1. Good results. 3 D&F (9qts) for $70. I think it cost me $7.19 per qt which is not that much more than Maxlife Qts (6.99) at the local AAP. My Subie is liking the Maxlife. The fit also got a bottle of Lubegard Red.

Amsoil is god stuff but so is the DW-1 is fantastic compared to the Z-1. Even the wife noticed the difference and I could replace the steering wheel with a banana and she might not notice.

One should change Honda trannys every 30K miles. For me, since the cost was similar, I went with the Honda fluid when available. Honda is more or less unique with their tranny so a speccific fluid characteristic is good.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
One should change Honda trannys every 30K miles.

I think some HAVE changed Honda trannys every 30k miles. Ha ha. (I know what you meant.)

To the OP, I like the DW-1 fluid from the dealer and the Castrol Transmax IMV fluid from the aftermarket. The Castrol fluid ran real well in both of our cars. Valvoline MaxLife shifted harsh/inconsistent in both, though this was only noticeable after a few D&Fs, after the concentration of MaxLife increased to 50% or so.

I have not yet tried Amsoil, though I'm not opposed to doing so.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know it prob should have been changed sooner. Time just flew by (or miles more like it), I bought it just a little over 2 years ago as a Honda Certified with 69k on it and they had changed it. I've since put the additional 110k on it. I do a LOT of highway driving!! But I would like to help prolong the life of it as it still looks and drives almost like new. Just don't know which (or even if I should now) fluid to use. Thinking the new lower visc DW-1 Honda fluid might promote problems?

Originally Posted By: motomandan
Thinking the new lower visc DW-1 Honda fluid might promote problems?

Castrol's fluid has a viscosity closer to that of Z1 (about 8 cSt). DW-1 runs well in both of our Z1-FF'd transmissions, but Castrol did as well. It's really a toss-up for me between those two.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I think some HAVE changed Honda trannys every 30k miles. Ha ha. (I know what you meant.)

Doh!

tranny fluid every 30K

And you are correct, some have had to change the transmission more often than they should, especially those paired with a V6

Doh!

tranny fluid every 30K

And you are correct, some have had to change the transmission more often than they should, especially those paired with a V6

*cough*

My top pick/$ would be MaxLife. Money aside I would go with Amsoil ATL or Red Line D6.

You would have been much better off to do frequent fluid changes in the early years with MaxLife rather than pay extra on fluid now (180k).

No additives necessary or recommended.

Last edited:
Thinking the new lower visc DW-1 Honda fluid might promote problems?

Castrol's fluid has a viscosity closer to that of Z1 (about 8 cSt). DW-1 runs well in both of our Z1-FF'd transmissions, but Castrol did as well. It's really a toss-up for me between those two.

Good point.

I would go with the Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, it even specifically puts "For Honda" right on the bottle. Specs are closer to the older Z-1 fluid for OLDER Hondas. It is a better match than DW-1 for Honda's that are pre-2010.

For the 2010 and later Hondas I would go with Honda's own DW-1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
... it even specifically puts "For Honda" right on the bottle.

Huh, just like MaxLife and Amsoil ATL. Weird.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hindsight being 20/20 I too wish I would have changed more frequently. Driving 55,000+ miles a year with only half of that being for work the longest time the car was shut off was when I was AT work! I had to sleep sometime. :) 110,000 miles between fluid changes is a bit excessive, however I grew up seeing my dad buy a new vehicles about every 6-8 yrs putting over 100k on each never changing the trans fluid. Never once had a transmission problem and that's with towing and various other 'severe use' driving. Maybe he was just lucky all these years, idk. I went ahead and placed my order for 2.5 gallons of the Amsoil OTF fluid to do 3 FF. Hopefully gradually introducing the new fluid in won't accelerate any problems with it. So one no vote on any Lubeguard Red additive? Just from reading a lot of other threads it seems to be widely used and recommended?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I would go with the Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, it even specifically puts "For Honda" right on the bottle. Specs are closer to the older Z-1 fluid for OLDER Hondas. It is a better match than DW-1 for Honda's that are pre-2010.

I don't know if I'd say that Castrol is a "better" match than DW-1 for the older cars, but its viscosity is probably more in-line with Z1. There's more to a fluid than viscosity alone. Taken as a whole, I like DW-1 the best in both of our older Hondas, but Castrol is a close second. DW-1 just shifts so quick/smooth. Castrol IMV gave a smooth shift, but it was a little slower and felt just a little more "labored" if that makes sense.

The shifts with DW-1 seems to go off with the snap of a finger. Very quick, very smooth.

I have found, by the way, that it takes a few thousand miles for the transmission to really "settle in" to a fluid. Maybe this is due to initial shear, but even with the low-shear fluids I've used (like MaxLife), the operation does change over time...or at least I perceive that it does. DW-1 began a little notchy in the Honda, but after a few thousand miles, it seems to have really "mellowed out" and shifts beautifully now. That could be the viscosity shearing down a little bit, or the clutch plates getting re-coated with those additives that are in the Honda fluid that they want to see (like the zinc perhaps), etc.

So one no vote on any Lubeguard Red additive? Just from reading a lot of other threads it seems to be widely used and recommended?

I see nothing to gain by using it. ALL of the fluids discussed in this thread (save for the OEM Z1 probably) are high quality fluids that need nothing added to them.

...and could be compromised by adding it. I don't care how much an additive is "loved" in various circles... if the original fluid designer thought it needed it, they would have added it. Adding extra chems potentially upsets a balance that was probably designed for a specific reason.

I only use additives when a "cheap fix" specifically makes sense--- trying to band-aid an oil leak, or artificially changing the viscosity to limp an ailing motor or transmission. sometimes it makes sense.

Hopefully gradually introducing the new fluid in won't accelerate any problems with it.

Doing multiple drain & fills is for those who don't want to (or can't) do a complete flush. Has nothing to do with safety or problems.

It's easier to do, it just wastes fluid.

I see nothing to gain by using it. ALL of the fluids discussed in this thread (save for the OEM Z1 probably) are high quality fluids that need nothing added to them.

Exactly. If you are going to apply a 'correction' to you fluid you should know exactly what you are 'fixing' and why you are doing it.

I don't know if I'd say that Castrol is a "better" match than DW-1 for the older cars, but its viscosity is probably more in-line with Z1.

That's only the pre-shear kinematic viscosity, not the actual operating viscosity.

Amsoil OTF is heavier than what is recommended. All the the old high-shear, short-life 7.x cSt ATFs have been replaced with durable 6.x fluids for a reason. OTL or ATL are a better match but the only real down-side is lower efficiency. All the Amsoil ATFs are high-durability.

Last edited:
So one no vote on any Lubeguard Red additive? Just from reading a lot of other threads it seems to be widely used and recommended?

Thank you, makes sense. I just had it in my head to try using it to see if it got rid of the possible slight shudder shifting into 2nd occasionally. But that might be in my imagination anyway. But since I'm going ahead with new Amsoil fluid in 3 FF I won't be using it. Thanks!!!

Possibly a very slight shudder on occasion shifting into 2nd but could be my imagination.

Mine does exactly the same thing. Under light throttle, it has this "shudder". I read about the same thing on the Drive Accord site.

My first Amsoil ATF D&F is going in today. My '06 only has 65k on it, and the past maintenance is unknown.

In all of my other cars, the Amsoil has improved the shifting. I would expect the same this time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back