Oil for a Case 580 SL turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm looking a recommendation on a diesel oil preferably synthetic. This is for a new to me 1999 Case 580sl with a cummins turbo diesel 3620 hours on the clock. The manual states cg-4,cf-4 in a 15w-40 weight.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40--- is cg-4 but not 15w-40 or certified for cummings

rotella t6--- Is certified for cummins diesel but don't said about turbos and not 15w-40

I'm new to diesel oil and this tractor so i dont know how important oil weight is but the tractor wont be used in winter time.

Also is every oil rated for turbos.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Well, if M1TD 5w-40 will work, run to AutoZone! $12.99 for a gallon.

Do you know If M1td 5w-40 meets requirements for usage in my Cummins

Originally Posted By: icetrucker

Try Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 or Delvac 1 5w-40 (the latter is older and may no longer be available to you) if you're looking for builder approvals.

Delvac 1 5w-40

Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40 is another option, having the recent Cummins certification and is the 15w-40 grade. Turbo isn't an issue. Plenty of diesel engines are turbos, and there is no separate oil for them (unless a manufacturer comes up with an oddball specification).

Originally Posted By: Garak

Try Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 or Delvac 1 5w-40 (the latter is older and may no longer be available to you) if you're looking for builder approvals.

Delvac 1 5w-40

Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40 is another option, having the recent Cummins certification and is the 15w-40 grade. Turbo isn't an issue. Plenty of diesel engines are turbos, and there is no separate oil for them (unless a manufacturer comes up with an oddball specification).

So does it matter if i use 5w-40 instead of 15w-40?

Can you tell me If Rotella t6 is also fine?

So does it matter if i use 5w-40 instead of 15w-40?

Can you tell me If Rotella t6 is also fine?

Both are perfectly acceptable. With that said, you're not going to see a return on investment with 5w-40. As aforementioned, I'd select 15w-40.

Remember, this is a piece of equipment with 3600hrs. -- the engine is but one piece of the puzzle. Make sure all the other systems (cooling, hydraulics, transmission, axles/planetaries, etc.) are up to snuff.

I'm looking online for Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 and cannot find it in any stores were is it sold?

Last edited:
Here is Mobil's page on the product. I'm no expert on this product.

0007192414987_300X300.jpg

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40

How come it does not say Delvac 1 on the bottle?

Because it's a different product -- any reasoning behind the seemingly adamant usage of a 5w-40?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
How come it does not say Delvac 1 on the bottle?

Because it's a different product -- any reasoning behind the seemingly adamant usage of a 5w-40?

Well I could go with ether one, but I was wondering If mobil 1 tdt 5w-40 is worth the gamble because it's not cummins certified

Well I might of asked this before but do you think M1tdt 5w-40 in my Cummins would be bad?
I cant get $13.00 a gallon out of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back