Might buy a 2006 Toyota Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
hypervish said:
Afterwards the salesman told me that the dealer was dying to get it off the lot...so we both profited well from the deal...

That's the kind of salesman I like! Dropping a hint or two that an offer of any sort will be considered.

My salesman told me that too. I won't lie though, I wish he hadn't.

It made me feel like I could have gotten it even cheaper! lol

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
A quick and amusing update:

The dealer, the salesman whom I'd dealt with on Thursday but fobbed me off on someone else, called just now to say that the used car manager would increase their trade-in on the Buick to $3700, and asked if I would like to do business. (No word about decreasing the asking price of the Avalon.)

they are just playing the normal game. you could stretch this for another week too and they will still play ball.

they will part you of your money if you buy the car. dont fool yourself into thinking that you win in the end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
A quick and amusing update:

The dealer, the salesman whom I'd dealt with on Thursday but fobbed me off on someone else, called just now to say that the used car manager would increase their trade-in on the Buick to $3700, and asked if I would like to do business. (No word about decreasing the asking price of the Avalon.)

they are just playing the normal game. you could stretch this for another week too and they will still play ball.

they will part you of your money if you buy the car. dont fool yourself into thinking that you win in the end.

They play this game every day; I do it on average every 4-7 years. Of course the advantage tends to be theirs.

Unless they talk about a lower price for the Avalon, and one I'm happy with, I'm not driving over there, and if I do I'll be ready to walk again if need be.

My goal would be $14k out the door on the Avalon which includes all taxes(6.75% here)and fees. Then subtract out $4k for the trade-in for $10k. Here's a nice Avalon here in Cleveland and this dealer is very good to work with. Our family has bought our last 6 cars from them.

http://www.metrotoyota.com/used/Toyota/2...c39f100a868.htm

I'm sure they'd do the deal I described above on that car.

Satin, I like the color on that '06! Sort of a metallic mint color, huh?

Come to think of it, there's another '06 available about 25 miles away from me, with the exact same color combo as the overpriced one, 48K miles, asking $14,500. (Though taxes here are 8-9%.) So they are out there.

Yeah, I'm sure that color would age well. Kind of like silver but not so boring. Always great to shop around esp if that first dealer knows your shopping around. That may drop the price quick.

Is the other car for sale by a Toyo dealer, private or used car lot?

I like the color. My 2007 Corolla was in Desert Sand Mica. Doesn't show dirt at all, and looks pleasing enough when clean.

I still miss that car.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
hypervish said:
Afterwards the salesman told me that the dealer was dying to get it off the lot...so we both profited well from the deal...

That's the kind of salesman I like! Dropping a hint or two that an offer of any sort will be considered.

My salesman told me that too. I won't lie though, I wish he hadn't.

It made me feel like I could have gotten it even cheaper! lol

Well....I (try to) never think about how much cheaper I could get anything for (or shrug off the thought if I do), because I would then think about how much MORE I could have paid for it....I set my goal, and if I'm close, good for me...I'm happy.

...of course the dealer makes a profit...so I'm pretty sure they feel that our deal was good for them too....

Last edited:
Update, all,

The dealer has come up to $3700 for the Buick, and down (a bit) to $15,500 for the Avalon. I was going to come back with $14,700. Thoughts?

If you have a nice relationship with the salesman go for it.

What have you got to lose?

They always want to give you wholesale for the trade and charge full retail for the car you're trying to buy!

I sent them my offer, and no, they won't budge from $15,500. The sales guy has emailed me to ask if they're still in the running. He says I have "stellar" credit, which I already knew, so I've asked them just what kind of interest rate we're talking about.

Unless it's some kind of 'must have' then i'd let him sit on it a week. But you have to be willing to let it go.

It boils down to how bad do you want it?

Best of luck...

I like the Avalon very much. But it's not a "must have." I want to know what I'm wading into before I put on my hip boots. A low interest rate could make some difference . . . as will their willingness to tell me.

I sent them my offer, and no, they won't budge from $15,500. The sales guy has emailed me to ask if they're still in the running. He says I have "stellar" credit, which I already knew, so I've asked them just what kind of interest rate we're talking about.

If you end up having to spend $1k to "upgrade" the tranny on your Buick, doesn't that resolve the price difference?
56.gif

'Tis true . . . and the Service Engine Soon light came on again this morning. I haven't had the code read, but it's probably the EGR valve issue that my shop deflected last month by cleaning the valve.

All these "little things" do wear you down, don't they? The Buick is worth fixing, and keeping. But a newer, less demanding car, at least less demanding for a while, is very tempting.

BTW, they say I qualify for 2.9%.

I like the Avalon very much. But it's not a "must have." I want to know what I'm wading into before I put on my hip boots. A low interest rate could make some difference . . . as will their willingness to tell me.

One thing that really muddies the water is working the trade against the other car's sale price.

Next time consider negotiating just on the 'new' car and selling the old one yourself. Or bring it into the deal after all the discounts and haggling are over on the new one.

Either way, I hope to hear of your new Avalon soon! Good luck...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
One thing that really muddies the water is working the trade against the other car's sale price.

Next time consider negotiating just on the 'new' car and selling the old one yourself. Or bring it into the deal after all the discounts and haggling are over on the new one.

Either way, I hope to hear of your new Avalon soon! Good luck...

I would have held the Buick out on this, but I had no buyer on the horizon.

I put the list of things that the Buick needs (EGR valve, tranny issues) and that I'd like to do on it (seat belt clicking, stereo lights) up against the fun of driving a newer car. So, I emailed the salesman to say it's a go. I reiterated the amounts and the list of things they'll need to do to the Avalon, and added that I'd be in this afternoon! Waiting to hear from him now.

Ah, well, these people put way too many obstacles in the way of a pleasant sales experience. He emailed me:

"We over allowed for your trade and reduced the price of the Avalon. The car was priced according to it's [sic] condition, miles, and year. We are happy to change out the oil line as dictated by the recall. The other repairs would be your responsibility."

The sales guy he handed me off to on Saturday swore there would be no trouble with doing the cosmetic stuff as well as the oil line issue, too. Something tells me the old bait-and-switch is not dead, and that some "unexpected" price changes would occur before I could take delivery.

Scruit. I liked the car very much. Don't like the dealer and their attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back