Cold start leak w/ K&N oil filter!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased K&N oil filter and installed with 6 qts. of GC in my 383 stroker. Had a small leak at filter seal at first....so I snugged it down a little and it was fine from then. Since then the weather has gotten colder, and only on cold start ups in the morning (about 38*F-40*F) it leaks!!!! About 1-2.5 tbl spoons then it stops. Do I need to screw it on tighter, or is this a warped casing which becomes evident before heat expansion. What should I do??? I have tremendous respect for all of you on this board and need some advice.

I would try snugging it a little more. Should be ok, k&n advertises thick cans....

If that doesnt work, get another filter. you might have gotten one that was warped just enough to leak under those conditions.

Dan

I'd try Dan's advice first, and if it's still leaking, get it off of there. You could have a bad rubber gasket or gotten some junk on the gasket itself and somehow that's making just enough room for oil to get out under pressure and then sealing up when the metal expands with heat. But, if you installed the filter like we all do, hand tight and then about a quarter turn with a filter wrench and it was leaking at that point, I'd take it off, just a personal thing. 5 dollar filter ain't worth it. I mean you could torque it down all day, but eventually you'll have to take that thing off.

I don't want to start any kind of K&N filter bashing thread, but I had to tighten mine down more than normal because it was leaking. I even used a torque wrench to factory specs when I first installed it. Needless to say, It's going to be fun taking that thing off!

I've never had this happen on any of the K&N oil filters I've used, on either my Firebird or my wife's Honda.

Silverado:

I use a 1" wrench when installing my K&N HP-2004 and I give it a real good "snug" turn.

I know people say you should only tighten by hand, but I've been doing my own oil & filter changes this way for 22 years and have never had a stuck filter.

I live down the road from you in Rosamond, so it's nice to talk to a neighbor.
cheers.gif

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
does k and n have their own plant?
where is it?

K&N oil filters are made by Champion Labs, which I believe is in Illinois.

Champion Labs also makes the Mobil 1 filter, STP, Supertech and Bosch Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back