My backyard non scientific rust test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for taking the time to do this and for sharing the results. I have some CLP from 2000ish that I still use from time to time as well as Butch's Gun Oil. I have to say that I will check into Eezox as it seems to be a very good product.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
That brownells test shows wd40 outperforming boeshield. That's just not so.

I've never compared the two side by side, but one of the few things WD-40 is good at is short term rust protection and water displacement. Long term, I don't care for it because it turns to a sticky, varnishy mess.

Given the choice though, I'll take Boeshield.

If you guys want I can test these two head to head and see which works the best in my experiment.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

If you guys want I can test these two head to head and see which works the best in my experiment.

I always include wd-40 in my tests just to have a common household standard in the test. wd-40 is a very good rust stopper but it doesn't belong anywhere near a firearm. Way too much solvent content, gums up over time and is a poor lube. About the only thing WD-40 could be used for is a very field expedient cleaner or EXTERIOR wipe down to prevent rust and displace water. Even that, I would only use it an emergency type situation.

I would never use WD40 on a gun. I would use it for just a few household uses. I still remember when this woman I went bicycling with tried to lubricate her bike using WD40. The way it was squeaking anybody could tell it needed lubrication.

So far CorrosionX is working for me. Although I still have just limited time with it. Now that the winter is here I will not go shooting unless there is an unusually warm winter day. So I will find out how well CorrosionX stays on the guns in long term storage.

The CorrosionX looks like the best gun oil I have used. It is better than Breakfree, especially this free Breakfree, and Hoppes Elite, and far better than RemOil.

On my S&W M&P 9mm semi-auto any oil seems to do a good enough job on the barrel but something better is needed for the slide areas. The CorrosionX seems to be working pretty well and if I didn't have it I think I would use lithium grease on the slides.

Today I began another rust test to include:
1) Eezox (since it did the best in my last experiment)
2) Boeshield T-9
3) WD-40
4) Muscle Products PL-10 lithium complex grease
5) Pro-Shot 1 Step
6) Safariland Breakfree CLP (since it did so poorly last time rechecked to see if it's
performance last time was come sort of anomaly)

Check back for an update in a week.

How about G96 spray? I've used it for years for light cleaning and for wipe down of rifles and handguns. Smells good too!
I've never had any surface or bore rust from long term guns stored in the closet.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
How about G96 spray? I've used it for years for light cleaning and for wipe down of rifles and handguns. Smells good too!
I've never had any surface or bore rust from long term guns stored in the closet.

I'd love to try some but none of the gun stores around here sells it. Send me some and I'll try it.

Last edited:
Interesting! I had been wondering why the new CLP looks different...
That EEZOX mopped the floor with them, is the catch its highly carcenogenic? Or is that just the aerosal version?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Interesting! I had been wondering why the new CLP looks different...
That EEZOX mopped the floor with them, is the catch its highly carcenogenic? Or is that just the aerosal version?

I have seen at least two different formulations of Breakfree CLP since the mid 1990's.

Both the liquid and aerosol versions of Eezox contains Trichloroethylene (CAS NO: 79-016). Since the aerosol version atomizes a bit when it's sprayed it would theoretically be easier to inhale the Trichloroethylene. The liquid version that I use doesn't have a bad smell and I have no problems using it indoors.

Here is the second backyard non scientific rust I conducted using some popular products. If you missed the first one it's here.

The testing parameters are the same except I didn't use any aluminum test media this time. I sprayed these stripper clips with Atlantic ocean water once a day for seven days. It rained on three of these days and for over eight hours on one day. I have been really busy working some overtime so I took this photo on the tenth day after the experiment began.

1) Control: Metal clip rusted over and corrosion starting to form on brass insert.

2) Eezox: Metal clip had two very small freckles of rust (one was between the S&Y on ASSY stamped on it) that I was able to wipe off with my finger without pitting. There was some discoloration on the brass insert which were salt deposits.

3) Boeshield T-9: Nail heads were rusted over and there was a small amount of rust forming on the left side of the metal clip. The Brass insert had salt deposits which wiped away and the rust from the nail stained it's left side.

4) WD-40: Maybe those who say that this is a good rust preventative will look at this. It is rusted almost as bad as the control and I feel that WD-40 has no business on a firearm to begin with.

5) Pro-Shot 1 Step: This is marketed as an all in one CLP. There was heavy rusting on the stripper clip and the brass insert is starting to corrode.

6) Safariland Breakfree CLP. On my last test this did worse than the old style CLP so I retested it again. Same results as last time.

7) Muscle Products PL-10 grease: I tested this because some of you use a lithium complex grease and asked me to test one. There was a little rust starting to form on the top left of the stripper clip and on the nail heads. The discoloration on the brass insert just rubbed off with my finger.

Like the first test I conducted, Eezox is still the best performing product at keeping rust at bay.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
No Fluid Film again?

None for sale around here so I'd have to order it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Just curious why you don't do one with regular hardware store Corrosion-X, not the Reel-X stuff.

Great testing, though. Keep it up!

Well because I have the ReelX on hand and I don't have regular CorrosionX. The only difference between the two is that ReelX has an EP additive that Corrosionx doesn't have. The inhibitor packages are the same on both the products per a conversation I had when I called the company.

One thing I forgot to mention is when I sprayed water on these, all the products except Eezox beaded up water. The water seemed to partially sheet off the Eezox treated metal.

Interesting.

Somehow I still think the way Reel-X and Corrosion-X behave in real life are different. I mean I trust that they have the same CI's, but somehow the AW comes into play.

Thanks again Buzzsaw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back