Bad Oil Promo is Bad - PQIA & News12 NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Hmmm, maybe big oil should clamp down a bit. While I haven't seen much garbage up here, Esso, for instance, is putting a lot of non-Imperial Oil stuff on their shelves. Fortunately, that stuff is PYB and QSGB and not City Star. At least we seem to be spared much of that up here.

I suspect a Petro-Canada manager would be torn a new one if he carried anything except Petro-Canada oils.

They can't. The franchising agreements don't give them control over what's sold in the station. It's why you'll see some Mobil stations selling only Coke products, others selling Pepsi, and some selling both.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The News12 site also has 26 minutes of video interviews with Tom Glenn, founder and president of PQIA.

PQIA Interview

Tom NJ

That interviewer/reporter should be shot. He keeps asking the same thing over and over. I feel bad for Tom having to respond to this.

Part 2 is up:
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/kiyc-part-2-motor-oil-regulation-1.6589108?firstfree=yes

A Kane In Your Corner investigation finds consumers are on their own when it comes to protecting themselves against unsafe motor oil sold at New Jersey gas stations and convenience stores. The state of New Jersey does little to regulate the quality of motor oil sold, the investigation finds, and buying motor oil at well-known gas station chains is no guarantee that the oil sold inside will be safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Fortunately, that stuff is PYB and QSGB and not City Star. At least we seem to be spared much of that up here.

Dude, I saw City Star the other day in a Toronto area convenience store, could not believe it!!

That means they actually export it and someone agrees to import it, then another person picks it out of a catalogue (presumably) and sells it - that's a lot of logistical effort for such dangerous [censored]
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
They can't. The franchising agreements don't give them control over what's sold in the station. It's why you'll see some Mobil stations selling only Coke products, others selling Pepsi, and some selling both.

That's the unfortunate thing. Petro-Canada obviously deals with things differently, as does Shell up here.

@jrustles: That's not good. How much can they possibly save by buying this garbage?

Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: uart
Sure, they say 3000 miles. But to be honest I don't see any problem with it.

But why continue to promote misinformation? When was the last decade where the typical change was 3k miles?!

Shops, dealerships and oil change garages all over the nation still continue to put that 3000 mile oci sticker up in the corner of the windshield.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Shops, dealerships and oil change garages all over the nation still continue to put that 3000 mile oci sticker up in the corner of the windshield.
Money. Scare the customer into thinking his engine will self-destruct if he goes 3001 miles.

Once had a Jiffy Lube "technician" (and yes I know...the company owns the van so I have to take it where they say) argue with me about going 5,000 miles...he said "Alright, if want to ruin your motor, go ahead". Good thing I have self-control when I'm wearing the company uniform.

Even though I don't follow it, two of my cars have a firm 3,750 mile oil change interval for normal service per Nissan - and recommended ATF change every 30k. Luckily no service is recommended after 120k, so I am good.

But, my point is that there are still relatively new cars that call for just over 3k oil changes.

Part 3 is out:
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/kiyc-part-3-buying-the-right-motor-oil-1.6597057?firstfree=yes

Some gas stations and convenience stores in New Jersey are selling obsolete, contaminated, even used motor oil, according to an exclusive Kane In Your Corner investigation. The State of New Jersey has done almost nothing to regulate the industry. Also, because many gas stations are leased to independent operators, the name on the sign outside does not guarantee that quality oil is sold inside.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Even though I don't follow it, two of my cars have a firm 3,750 mile oil change interval for normal service per Nissan - and recommended ATF change every 30k. Luckily no service is recommended after 120k, so I am good.

But, my point is that there are still relatively new cars that call for just over 3k oil changes.

What cars recommend a 3750 mile change for 'normal' use?

I would have liked to hear a little more in part 3 about the API classification for new buyers, such as showing them that chart with the ratings based on model years.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Infiniti G35 and FX45

Oh, I see how they do it. They have a Premium, Schedule 1 and Schedule 2. The first two are the same as 'Severe', the Sch2 is 'Normal'. 3750/7500. I'm sure if you had the oil tested you'd come close to an 8k or 10k change interval.

But Premium cars sure like that Premium service.
smile.gif

Yep, I have had the oil tested and came to the conclusion w/ blackstone's help that M1 0w40 is good for ~7k in my G35 and a bit less in the FX. I think I posted a couple of the early UOA's here.

It is interesting, I have looked at these manuals many times and never saw the schedule 2 until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back