Tips on cleaning up spilled oil in trunk carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a half quart of oil in the trunk of my wife's Civic for top offs. I screwed on the cap tight and put it in a gallon Ziploc bag, but it still got out (probably banged around and loosened the cap) and left a stain on the carpet and the spare tire lid. I usually put anything like that in a plastic pan just in case it leaks. I figure it's time to get a new lid anyways as it looks noticeably warped after a decade of stuff lying on top of it. It's about $40. No big deal anyways. But the carpet looks like it's still in good shape but all oily with unused motor oil. It came out pretty easily since it's a separate piece from the sides. So far I've just soaked it in laundry detergent, applied some pretreater (and aerosol can of Shout in some volatile solvent with warnings not to leave it to dry), and a little bit of dishwashing detergent.

Anyone else deal with something like this? I know if it were used motor oil there's little that can be done. I don't even care if it looks like it's been stained, but I'm just hoping that I can put it back in there and not get anything all oily from the residue.

Dawn dish soap.

I had two grease guns break open on my carpet and the grease got smushed in.

Dawn cleaned it right out! I ended up having to clean the WHOLE carpet because that spot was whiter than the rest of the carpet.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the same as Shannow's soluable oil but press in that spill kit stuff or kitty liiter to soak up then vacuum and and then attack with Dawn...

Or would a carpet cleaner, rented from Home Depot or somewhere, work?

I had to replace the one in the 05 Accord after sandy... Dealer wanted $85. I'm sure, if I shopped, I could have cut the cost.

+2 on the Dawn dish soap. I've had that happen to me before.

Remove the carpet with the stain. Get the blue Dawn and mix it 1-1 with the hottest water you can get. Soak it first with straight blue Dawn and then scrub the heck out of it, on both sides. A scrub brush that is too soft won't accomplish much and a brush that is too stiff may break or pull threads from the carpet, so choose wisely. Use a high pressure stream, like at the DIY car washes, for the rinse.

Spay down some Oil Eater Brand spray and then agitate with an upholstry brush. Then go over it with a carpet extractor machine.

Flour...the kind you bake with....should absorb alot of it. Leave on a half hour then vacuum.

poor motor oil over the rest of it so it all matches?

but seriously the Dawn rec has worked for me before. If that does not work how about getting the whole interior professionally steam cleaned?

"if" you had not taken any action, I'd suggest using non flammable brakecleen or other chlorinated solvent (brakecleen from the red can) and a shop vac or carpet extractor. Spraying the chlorinated solvent while vacuuming it up. Works like a champ. Poor mans "dry cleaning".

You could also try engine degreaser like gunk. Followed by simple green or other powerful soap.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Dawn dish soap.

I had two grease guns break open on my carpet and the grease got smushed in.

Dawn cleaned it right out! I ended up having to clean the WHOLE carpet because that spot was whiter than the rest of the carpet.

Yerp. Beware of making a 'clean' stain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back