smokey and the bandit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bandit's '76 (but made to look like '77) TA would have had a 400 Pontiac V8 as the turbo 301 didn't roll around until '80.

Last edited:
There was a Bandit TV series too.That dog has been beat to death,Pontiac is dead,Burt looks like h ell,and Jerry Reed is gone,along with Big Enos and the Snowman.Leave that "franchise" where it is.

The calif pontiacs of that vintage got the 403 olds.i forget how to tell but one hood shaker will say 6.6 litre and the other 6.6ho. Something along those lines.the one on gas monkey had the 403 olds

Originally Posted By: dparm
Ironically that Trans Am he drove wasn't even that fast, despite the massive 6.6L engine.

The sound foley-ing was awful to boot. They're driving down a relaxing country road at 50 mph... but apparently wound up to redline in 1st gear.

I sat through this movie with a more critical eye recently... seems as dumb as "Duel" with half a dozen, fifteen minute plot devices sewed together. For example, there was no reason to tear through the soccer field, but they stuck that in for yuks.

Goodman, James, and Fred Flintstone are all Gleason ripoffs. I'd go a different direction, maybe Robert Knepper, the creepy-talking guy from Prison Break. Remember, he has to flip his lid that someone stole his daughter and has a problem with authority.

220px-RobertKnepperApr09.jpg

Wabbout R12 and universal fit dual quads? Heck ,a tanker of 100% gas. John Goodman to stand in for the Great One and maybe Dennis Quaid or Charley Sheen for the Bandit. Use an M5 or a 'Vette. Maybe the 50th anniversary Mustang for a promotional tie-in. Maybe Tom Petty,or David Crosby, for the Jerry Reed role and Steve Buscemi for the Sheriff's nephew. Mila Whoozidinger for Sally Field.

I can see the modern version, a convertible mustang as the bandit car, and the sheriff driving a chevy volt trying to catch him. The truck would be carrying a load of small r-12 cans and older style non epa compliant gas cans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Ironically that Trans Am he drove wasn't even that fast, despite the massive 6.6L engine.

I'm pretty sure that trans am had a 4.9L turbo didn't it.
The 6.6 had unreal torque but rev'd out at 4500 rpm.

It says 6.6 on the hood. That means it's at best 200hp...

BTW, here's a modern reimagining someone did:

http://thethrottle.thechive.com/2013/02/...-tas-19-photos/

user-smokey-new-920-0.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The calif pontiacs of that vintage got the 403 olds.i forget how to tell but one hood shaker will say 6.6 litre and the other 6.6ho. Something along those lines.the one on gas monkey had the 403 olds

a friend in high school had a Olds 403 powered Formula Firebird. It sounded amazing.....would get beaten by a Chevrolet 350 powered Camaro of similar vintage, but that 403 could sing.

The turbo 4.9 was in Smokey and The Bandit II. Smokey and The Bandit III was (appropriately) a 3rd gen

Originally Posted By: redhat
Bandit's '76 (but made to look like '77) TA would have had a 400 Pontiac V8 as the turbo 301 didn't roll around until '80.

With the automatic, the car had an athsmatic 185HP Olds 403.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I'm pretty sure that trans am had a 4.9L turbo didn't it.
The 6.6 had unreal torque but rev'd out at 4500 rpm.

It says 6.6 on the hood. That means it's at best 200hp...

The 4-speed cars with Poncho 400's had 220HP stock and an easy 275 with some simple tweaking.

They ruined that Trans Am in the picture. What did they do to the headlights and 20" wheels and rubber. They ruined a nostalgic master piece. How many Black Trans Ams that movie must have sold?

The top selling year for the bird was 79.

imx5.jpg

I nominate this.

There are tons of current Camaro done over to look like T/As, different version of the make over too.

I think hauling 100% real fuel is a good idea for the premise of the movie or maybe a truck with ammo/clips/rifles - maybe like a "Safe Act" sort of premise.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: redhat

With the automatic, the car had an athsmatic 185HP Olds 403.
frown.gif

Hmm... I thought the 403 Olds wasn't available until '77 and Bandit's car was a '76 dressed up like a '77. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back