DIY oil change for Maserati 2002 Coupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Coupe, and the specs on the oil are out of date. Oils have improved since then, and there is no more CMCC spec. It has been replaced by ASEA.

My manual says: "Use SAE 5W/40 API SG/CD - CCMC G5". That's impossible to find. SG/CD has also been superceded by letters further down the alphabet, as well.

see:
http://www.kuttenkeuler.de/kkweb/En/infoLubrAcea

This is what I'm going to use for my next DIY oil change:
http://www.specialtylubes.com/pennzoil-ultra-euro-5w-40-6-quarts.html

The specs on Pennzoil read:
Exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B3/B4.
Exceeds the requirements of API SM/CF and previous categories.
Ferrari – Exclusive to Pennzoil UltraTM in the USA
(Maserati Coupe engine is essentially a Ferrari 4.2L V8, made in the same Ferrari factory.)

Pennzoil synthetic is better than what the auto came with from the factory. Of course I'll use an OEM filter. I don't think an aftermarket filter even exists.

Last edited:
First of all:
welcome2.gif

The Pennzoil Ultra (PU as it's called here...) is a very good choice, but for further analysis, we'll need to see a pic.
thumbsup2.gif

I think he meant a picture of your car, not the oil. I want to see the car too!! Pennzoil Ultra 5w40 is a great oil and may I suggest Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 5w40/0w40 which are all oils that can be had for a much better price when on sale. Obviously your car does not ask you to meet very stringent spec's and the oils named above all meet highly regarded spec's.

Welcome to BITOG!

I found what appears to be the best deal on the Pennzoil:
http://www.kellerheartt.com/Pennzoil-Ultra-Euro-5W-40-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-p/550023653.htm

That's enough for 3 oil changes on the Maserati. It takes 2 gallons to fill it. It's what my Maserati dealer uses.

I don't know how upload an image, but here's a linked image to the photo on my Facebook page. I don't know if you can see it unless you're my "Friend". If not I'll put it on Photobucket or something:

523467_4246038585408_1779652007_n.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome car!

The Pennzoil Ultra 5w40 will work quite well, as it's become Ferrari's go-to oil in the past few years.

Alternatively, you could use Mobil 1 0w40, Valvoline SynPower 5w40, or Castrol Edge 0w40. All are readily available at your local auto parts stores.

It is awesome. I bought it from a friend of mine for $30k. Had to get a new clutch. $5k.
It had only 22k miles on the odometer, but the clutch needs to be replaced every 20-30k miles.
That's the only repair I've had to do. Other than that it's in mint condition.

It has a Formula 1 type 6 speed paddle shift transmission called "Cambiocorsa". Also an automatic mode. ASR traction control and an active suspension called "Skyhook". It has a "Sport" mode which enables faster shifting, stiffer suspension, and opens up the exhaust more. It sounds like a big cat roaring. I've had a lot of fun with it.

It is a 4.2L DOHC, 32 valve, 390 hp, V8. My friend calls it The Beast. Top speed is around 180 m.p.h., but I've only been brave enough to hit 130.

The interior is completely leather. I mean entirely leather except for the carpets. The color is light tan, called "Tobacco".

I would never have bought one except for the great deal I got, and a dealer, Maserati of the Main Line in PA is only 12 miles away from me.

Last edited:
Beautiful Car & quality oil choice!

Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula is great as well and as I posted in the deals/rebates forum, you can get 6 quarts of it + a Mobil 1 oil filter (not sure about your car though...) shipped free w/Amazon Prime all for $37.06.

It's another option for you...
smile.gif

Thank you. I'll check it out.
I don't think an aftermarket filter even exists for this car.
I can get an OEM Maserati filter from my dealer for $28.

Originally Posted By: fullthrottle
Thank you. I'll check it out.
I don't think an aftermarket filter even exists for this car.
I can get an OEM Maserati filter from my dealer for $28.

Ok, just pick an oil filter for another of your cars!
thumbsup2.gif

I was looking at the K&N oil filters and air filters for my other car and truck. Especially the air filter, since you only ever need to buy one. You can clean and re-oil them.
http://www.knfilters.com/

BMC makes a reusable performance air filter for the Maserati.

Last edited:
Another good, economical option for 5w/40 synthetic oil is LiquiMoly from Germany.

The specs are right on for Maserati as well as every other European car.

Synthoil Premium - Full Synthetic - API SM/CF, ACEA A3/A4/B4. MB 229.3 OEM APPROVED. BMW Longlife-98 OEM APPROVED. Porsche A40 OEM APPROVED. VW 502.00 / 505.00 OEM APPROVED. Case = (4) 5 Liter Bottles

LiquiMoly Synthoil Premium 5W-40 Engine Oil: Fully synthetic, energy conserving (fuel economy) SAE 5W-40 motor oil for the latest engine concepts (both gas and diesel), such as multi-valve arrangements, variable cam and timing configurations, turbocharging, supercharging, intercooling, etc. Saves fuel, provides instant lubrication after a cold start. Good for extended oil change intervals and highest demands.

long service life for the engine due to very high level of protection against wear
Miscible and compatible with commercially-available engine oils
Rapid oil delivery at low temperatures
Very high lubrication reliability at high and low temperatures
Very high shear and ageing stability
Outstanding engine cleanliness
Smooth engine running
Saves petrol and reduces pollutant emission
Optimum oil pressure at all engine speeds
Tested with catalytic converters and proven performance with turbochargers
Extremely low evaporation losses
__________________________________________________ ______________

Last edited:
Another good, economical option for 5w/40 synthetic oil is LiquiMoly from Germany.

The specs are right on for Maserati as well as every other European car.

Synthoil Premium - Full Synthetic - API SM/CF, ACEA A3/A4/B4. MB 229.3 OEM APPROVED. BMW Longlife-98 OEM APPROVED. Porsche A40 OEM APPROVED. VW 502.00 / 505.00 OEM APPROVED. Case = (4) 5 Liter Bottles

Except that it's rather expensive in the US for what you get. M1 is about $5/qt 365 days a year and has equal or better specs. Note that LM oil carries older specs like MB 229.3 and BMW LL-98, both of which were superseded a while ago.

It will work just fine, but for the same (or less) money, why not just get the better product?

I think I may have found a great deal on the LiquiMoly for a 4x 5 Liter case for about the same price as the Mobil. I don't know about the specs you mention, but the specs I need for the Maserati are right on. I might even get the Pennzoil Euro 24 quart case and blend them. I'd have enough for 5 oil changes.

But, thanks. I want to know all my options.

Last edited:
I think I may have found a great deal on the LiquiMoly for a 4x 5 Liter case for about the same price as the Mobil. I don't know about the specs you mention, but the specs I need for the Maserati are right on. I might even get the Pennzoil Euro 24 quart case and blend them. I'd have enough for 5 oil changes.

But, thanks. I want to know all my options.

Mobil 1 0w40 is $25 for a 5qt bottle at Wal-mart (LM bottles are only 4 quarts). Are you saying you found a place that sells LM for under $5/qt?

Originally Posted By: JR
$28 For a oem filter, all i can say is wow.
Awesome car.

ken

That's not too bad. Most of the BMW cartridges are about $20ish from the dealer.

You made a good choice for an up-to-date oil that meets the intent of the old specs. About the only better oil for that application that I can think of is Mobil 1 0w40.

I take it you are using a UFI brand oil filter. I'll bet there's a Wix or Baldwin that would fit. If you give me the UFI filter number I'll see if I can match it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back