1994 DAKOTA QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Dakota v-6, ac,ps,at, has small bulb in "glow ring" around ignition key slot. How do you get in to reach the bulb?

also" got vehicle checked at AAP, said alt and battery OK, with 90 amp Nippon Denso alt. 220k on alt, I think. Sometime I would like to replace with 120 amp. They think it will probably be an exact fit but not sure. NEW REMY 120 alts (used to be called delco remy)are now sold as "tough one" units and with coupons aren't that different $$ from Rebuilds, and tough one rebuild 120 not that much more than 90's, which aren't much more than "drive works brand", which 2 AAP stores say have a high fail rate. Comments?

I haven't purchased too many parts store alternators as I get great pricing at the boneyard my friend owns, but the AAP parts I typically get have been of decent quality. If you can get the Remy discounted though, I would go that route.

Regarding the Dakota's, I know the Jeep guys upgrade their 55/60 amp units to the 90+ units the 'Kota's came with. I'd have to search the net for more details.

I think the bigger alternator from something like a 5.2 or 5.9-powered Ram or Durango from that time period (say '93-98) with a tow package will be a bolt-in, or you might have to grind the mounting bracket a little (you do on Jeep XJs to fit the Durango alternator.) I'd search around for an alternator/starter rebuilding shop or even a junkyard alternator rather than the rebuilt crud or "new" stuff like that Remy made in China. I made the mistake of ordering a "new OEM" Jeep starter a few years ago. It arrived, I saw the 'made in China' printed on the box, and promptly slid it back across the counter and asked for my money back, then got the old one rebuilt at a starter shop.

But honestly, you don't need a 120 in that truck. 90 amps is plenty, especially since those Denso alternators are very good at giving you all that current at idle. If it were like older alternators that might be rated at 90 amps, but only give 30 at idle, then you might need an upgrade.

Are the higher amp alternators equipped with heavier gauge cables to handle the extra current? If they are, I would not want to install a higher amp alternator without cables that match.

You could keep the stock cable but rewire the headlights with a relay off the alt lug. That would take some of the current and result in brighter lights.

Here you go.

From Rockauto.com

1994 DODGE DAKOTA 3.9L V6 OHV : Electrical : Alternator / Generator

REMY Part # 94604 New; Remy Gold
w/ 137mm (5 3/8") dia Alternator Case; 120 Amps. $116.79

1994 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN 3.3L V6 OHV : Electrical : Alternator / Generator

REMY Part # 94604 New; Remy Gold
w/ 137mm (5 3/8") dia Alternator Case; 120 Amps; Can Use, Requires Reuse Of Original Pulley. $116.79

You won't need heaver wiring, it's already rated for the 120 amp unit.

Same exact part, same price....

Use my discount code:187525125834338 5% good til 1/26/2014

BTW: my local re-builder can't get parts to rebuild them. I have a perfectly good one that just needs a new brush.

Good luck,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back