Home defense thread removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I love this forum, but it seems one of the most iron fisted forums I've ever seen.

The thread was removed at the request of the OP. Nothing iron fisted about it.

The OP did seem concerned about "security"...It seemed to me that he was concerned that the information in his thread would be in the public domain...so removing the thread seems consistent with his stated concern...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Actionstan - I didn't weigh in on your previous thread, because, frankly, there was some good advice.

There are a couple of points that I would like to add.

1. Practice, Practice, Practice. You, and whoever you plan on using the gun, have to be able to operate it when it's dark, you're suddenly awakened, and the adrenaline is pumping (so, you've lost your fine motor skills and concentration). Whatever you choose, make certain that you can operate it, including malfunctions, loading, etc. and that you can hit a target accurately.

2. You want to be able to lock it up? Handgun is easier, though it has detractors, who compare the greater ease of aiming and greater power of a long gun. Just remember that a long gun is less easy to lock up and to retrieve.

Buy quality. I've never regretted that...and make sure you have enough budget left over for lots of ammo. Muscle memory takes about 2,000 to 3,000 repetitions of an action to truly learn it. So, you've got a lot of practice ahead of you...

My personal recommendation is a 6" .357 revolver. Easy to use, no slide/magazine drills, and no safety. Load it with .38 SPL wadcutters to practice. 125 Gr JHP .357 Magnum for real.

I carry an H&K USP Compact, personally, but I've been through quite a bit of training with it...and several thousand rounds of practice ammo...

Did I mention that you should practice?

You state buy quality, let me ask, does quality always = price with guns? I am pretty set on getting a Remington 870 with a 18 or 20 inch barrel, and a Ruger p95. I know those are well known names, but the actual firearms are very low cost. In the mean time I have a 20 gauge mossberg hunting shotgun until I can afford the firearms I actually want.

No, the correlation between price and quality isn't perfect. Many times the price includes features, or touches, that you don't need.

I have shot a few Ruger P89s, but not the P95. Though it was well-made, I didn't care for the feel of the P89 (I bought a S&W 5906 that year instead) and my understanding is that the P95 is a quality gun. My kid brother owns one. Can't go wrong with the 870.

I think you'll do well with those choices.

Last edited:
I got a Ruger P95 9mm.

Bought it new several years ago. Nice gun, no issues. A little heavy, see if she's Ok with that or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back