At present, who makes the MOST efficient filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd certainly choose the Mobil filter over Purolator, Fram Ultra or RP for it's base end patented by-pass valve (although it looks very similar too the WIX by-pass arrangement to me).
What point is a high efficiency, low micron count media if unfiltered oil washes over a dirty element and through the by-pass valve at the bottom of the filter can?
Remember the by-pass valve is open a lot, not just with cold thick oil or a clogged filter but during regular pressure surges such as when an engine is first started.

Originally Posted By: txgp17
I've stumbled upon the PL24458
Bad news, looks like the PL24458 is discontinued.

But I did find the PL14460, identical to the PL14459 except it's bypass valve is 20-25 psi, rather than 12-15 psi.

And the M1-105 was not in stock at Advance Auto.

Says the PL14460 has no ADBV.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Says the PL14460 has no ADBV.
Yeah, I totally missed that. Thanx.

Also, Bosch e-mailed me, stating their Distance Plus filter is absolute efficient at 40 microns. Mobil 1 wants me to call the customer help line.

Mobil 1 wants me to call the customer help line.
Just got off the phone with them, the number was 1-800-882-0890.

The alleged tech guy on the phone said that M1 filters are 95% efficient at 20 microns. I asked if he could recite the different pressure ratings of the bypasses on several filters, he couldn't I specifically inquired about the M1-104, M1-110, and M1-105. Disappointed I was.

Kubota 3cyl diesel? It'll make little difference in filter choice. These engines are almost bullet proof. I've had two in Z-machines and always used Napa Gold 1334. These engines can go easily to 15-20k hours on refrigerated reefer units. Try some 5w40 T6 Rotella and your filter of choice.

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Kubota 3cyl diesel? It'll make little difference in filter choice. These engines are almost bullet proof.
I know their reputation for durability, which is what drew me to this model generator. But I want it to outlive me. I'm thinking of a bypass filter for it too.

Will you run your gen-set often? In a clean air environment it'll last a long time. You have the dual stage air cleaner? Those engines are tuff!! FWIW I've only got 300 hrs on my 13yr old Honda gen-set. It gets Rotella 10w30 dino and a fresh filter yearly.

Will you run your gen-set often?
Probably once a month, unless it's called into service.
You have the dual stage air cleaner?
I'm not sure. The air filter has the fins around it to cause heavier particles to settle out before they get caught in the paper pleats.
IMG_1562_zps17d24cc4.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back