Acura ILX 2.0L oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister just bought an acura ilx with the 2.0l engine. The 2.0l engine is simply a high-compression and over-bored civic r18 engine. The user manual requires 0w-20 oil as the fill and as far as i know, 0w-20 weight only comes in synthetic oil. My question is, can i use a plain 5w-20 conventional such as PYB without any harm? Let's put warranty aside.

She lives in sunny-side California where temps never dip below freezing.

Last edited:
Warranty aside, sure, you could absoultely use a 5W-20, especially in sunny CA. You could use a 5W-30 or a 5W-40, too. They do in Europe.

Tell me she bought a new fancy Acura and can't afford the oil changes with syn...

I hope not.

Warranty aside, a 0w-20 may give faster flow at startup, and may marginally improve MPGs.

I dont see why she wouldnt go with the manufacturer recommended oil and use the OLM as it was designed. Should be pretty good on the oil... Other than saving a few bucks, I cant see any good reason to go with a garden variety 5w-20. We learned long ago by UOA that on M1, the wife's integra was good for 7500 mile OCIs, with a filter change every other time, just as Honda specified. So this car should be able to do 10k+ without any issue whatsoever... IMO that will yield best long term performance and economics.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Tell me she bought a new fancy Acura and can't afford the oil changes with syn...

Actually, its really nothing fancy at all..Just a glorified Honda Civic...LoL

stick with whatever 0W20 if you want to keep your warranty

5w-20 pyb might not make it for the entire oci, some honda/acura olm doesn't light up til 10k miles or more.

Originally Posted By: Thugzy
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Actually, its really nothing fancy at all..Just a glorified Honda Civic...LoL

stick with whatever 0W20 if you want to keep your warranty

No offense to the OP or his sister but as a Honda/Acura enthusiast the ILX upsets me. While it does look nice, it's an underachiever *for an Acura* when it comes to powertrain, packaging, and interior quality.

As for the question at-hand it shouldn't be an issue but I'd be inclined to stick with the mfr. suggested oil as long as the car is under warranty. Either way I'm sure it will be a very reliable car for many years to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back