Pennzoil 0w/40 vs 5w/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a recent post, someone noted Chysler dealers are supplying PU 5/40 and 0/40 oils. Why does Pennzoil even bother making a 5w/40? My Fiat requires it, and if Chrysler is supplying this in their dealers, why add to the stocking complexity of 2 different oils. Is there a certain Chrysler engine better off with a 5w?

What advantage is there for Fiat or any other type of engine to require 5w/40?

Very good question and I think it is another Pennzoil marketing goof-up. I do not know why they just did not combine all specs into one oil. Mobil has been able to combine the specs they need into M1 0w40.
There is no advantage to using the 5w40 unless it carries a spec that you need for warranty. Pennzoil/SOPUS baffle me sometimes. PU could have been their answer to M1 EP...dont get me started lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Is one perhaps an SRT oil and one carry European certifications? Of course, that still doesn't explain why they couldn't find a way to combine them....

Yes, 0w40 is the SRT specific oil while 5w40 is Pennzoil Ultra Euro.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Mobil has been able to combine the specs they need into M1 0w40.

M1 0w-40 doesn't carry the Chrysler MS-12633 approval which PU 0w-40 SRT does. So, for whatever reason, XOM wasn't able to combine it either.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
On a recent post, someone noted Chysler dealers are supplying PU 5/40 and 0/40 oils. Why does Pennzoil even bother making a 5w/40? My Fiat requires it, and if Chrysler is supplying this in their dealers, why add to the stocking complexity of 2 different oils. Is there a certain Chrysler engine better off with a 5w?

What advantage is there for Fiat or any other type of engine to require 5w/40?

The PU 0w40 available at Chrysler dealers is the special SRT version and is NOT the same as PU Euro 0w40.

PU 5w40 is a popular product for Ferraris (and Maseratis, Alfas, and other cars with their engiens).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Mobil has been able to combine the specs they need into M1 0w40.

M1 0w-40 doesn't carry the Chrysler MS-12633 approval which PU 0w-40 SRT does. So, for whatever reason, XOM wasn't able to combine it either.

It used to be the factory fill for "those vehicles" however
wink.gif
I believe the reason it doesn't carry the spec is the same reason it is no longer the factory fill and there is now a SOPUS "SRT" 0w-40.

The relationship change due to the FIAT ownership change is what I believe precipitated all of this.

Was probably done on purpose as to the who got the rights to "SRT"factory fill. My buddies 2008 SRT8 Jeep says M1 0w40.

So seems Penzoil won the bid is why all of a sudden you don't see M1 approved. Funny how that is. It's all about $$$$$$

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Was probably done on purpose as to the who got the rights to "SRT"factory fill. My buddies 2008 SRT8 Jeep says M1 0w40.

So seems Penzoil won the bid is why all of a sudden you don't see M1 approved. Funny how that is. It's all about $$$$$$

It wasn't a bid.

SOPUS had a pre-existing relationship with FIAT. Chrysler had a pre-existing relationship with Mobil. When Chrysler went bankrupt and FIAT bough them (becoming the parent company) they terminated the contract with Mobil and simply extended the SOPUS lineup to cover the Chrysler applications.

I don't believe Mobil was very happy about that, and is likely why they haven't bothered to approve their 0w-40 product for the SRT spec.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

It wasn't a bid.

SOPUS had a pre-existing relationship with FIAT. Chrysler had a pre-existing relationship with Mobil. When Chrysler went bankrupt and FIAT bough them (becoming the parent company) they terminated the contract with Mobil and simply extended the SOPUS lineup to cover the Chrysler applications.

I don't believe Mobil was very happy about that, and is likely why they haven't bothered to approve their 0w-40 product for the SRT spec.

Furthermore, they've actually taken the previous SRT spec off their 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm getting the feeling that XOM is done doing any favours for Chrysler. M1 doesn't meet their most basic specification (even though their conventional does). They don't offer an oil meeting this Fiat based Chrysler specification, either. I know that at least some of their oils list Fiat specification numbers.

I just doubt that XOM is going to put a lot of effort into obtaining the basic Chrysler specification, the SRT spec, or this Fiat based spec. Agip might as well start marketing hard in North America. After all, SOPUS isn't going to put much effort into getting these products out there except to dealers.

In a few years, as I said before, Fiat will be fed up, Tata Motors will pick up the pieces, and Chryslers will be calling for SF rated monogrades, and people will struggle to find those, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back