Help Selecting a Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, I just got rid of a vehicle with 359,000+ miles that I owned since it had 8,000 miles on it. For the first 300,000 I ran Mobil 1 and Exxon Superflo synthetic (when they used to make it). Around 300k miles, I switched over to Pennzoil Platinum. My OCIs were 6k to 7k the entire time. The car still ran just as good as new when I got rid of it. Honestly, if it wasn't a base model vehicle with no power options other than A/C, I would have held on to it.

Choose the synthetic oil that you consider to be your favorite or try a few (that meet your engine specs) and stick with the one your vehicle "likes" the most. What I mean by "likes the most" is one you notice a better behavior from such as reduced engine noise and increased smoothness.

My opinion is that any decent synthetic will get you to 300k as long as you keep the oil changed, use a good quality oil filter, ensure that your PCV system works normally and address any cooling system or fuel system issues immediately.

One more thing to add. If you are stuck on a 5000 mile OCI, honestly speaking, go with a top notch conventional (that meets your engine specs) and save your money. If you are trying to drive it til it croaks, go with a synthetic and increase your OCIs.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
For what it's worth, I just got rid of a vehicle with 359,000+ miles that I owned since it had 8,000 miles on it. For the first 300,000 I ran Mobil 1 and Exxon Superflo synthetic (when they used to make it). Around 300k miles, I switched over to Pennzoil Platinum. My OCIs were 6k to 7k the entire time. The car still ran just as good as new when I got rid of it. Honestly, if it wasn't a base model vehicle with no power options other than A/C, I would have held on to it.

Choose the synthetic oil that you consider to be your favorite or try a few (that meet your engine specs) and stick with the one your vehicle "likes" the most. What I mean by "likes the most" is one you notice a better behavior from such as reduced engine noise and increased smoothness.

My opinion is that any decent synthetic will get you to 300k as long as you keep the oil changed, use a good quality oil filter, ensure that your PCV system works normally and address any cooling system or fuel system issues immediately.

Any oil will get a modern engine to 300000 miles. Any oil,changed at proper intervals.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Any oil will get a modern engine to 300000 miles. Any oil,changed at proper intervals.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I see City Star motor oil on sale.
grin.gif

Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Mobil 1. All of those are great OTC synthetic oils available at Walmart for a great price. Fram TG, Fram Ultra, and Puro Classic are filters available at Walmart also, of those three I would use the TG.

That doesn't count, being unlicensed and meeting zero approvals.
wink.gif
It has as much in common with real motor oil as does baby oil.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

grin.gif

He said good, meaning that it meets specs. Lets not be foolish and think that your mileage was due to the 'synthetic' oil. So many have had the same experience as you on regular old conventional oil
grin.gif

Driving habits have a bigger impact on engine longevity than the brand of oil you use.Don't drink the kool aid.

Amazed that lots of folks didn't seem to read your original post.

I am partial to Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back