2014 Ram 1500 - Sound Like a Decent Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say that I have been browsing the forums here constantly for a few years now, so proud to be an official member now!

As of last week I am the proud new owner of a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi. Being as it is my first new vehicle (21 years old), I want to make sure I have a good plan of action with the maintenance involved.

I have done all of the maintenance on all of my previous/current vehicles, and would like to do the same on the new one. Just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside to do it myself.
blush.gif

It still has the factory fill in it and I will probably run it out to 3,000-5,000 miles before I drop it. After that, because of warranty I have to go according with the Oil Change Indicator or as the manual states, "Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months on 1500 trucks, whichever comes first."

So I was thinking of just going with Quaker State Ultimate Durability and a Fram Ultra Filter. I have used both products in my own as well as family+friends vehicles with no bad signs.

Will run the oil out to 5,000 miles, change the oil and send in a UOA, then adjust accordingly. Does this plan seem viable to all of you fellow BITOG members?

Thanks in advance and happy to join you guys!
grin.gif

Also, I know there are better oils out there. But I just figured since I won't be doing extended OCI's while under warranty, and since my application seems to be pretty easy on oil...the bang for the buck factor of the QSUD couldn't be overlooked.

Please correct me if wrong...I'm still a newbie and am willing to learn from anyone with more knowledge than I possess.

Sounds like a good plan, except I don't ever run the break-in oil over 1,000 miles. I'm from the old school, though. Please tell what your gas mileage is with the Ram. I really like the Express 5.7, but didn't buy one for fear of getting bad mileage, even with the cylinder deactivation.

Sounds sound. But forget the UOA's until your engine is broken in or forget them at all since you are going to use the factory recommendation as your determining factory for OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Sounds like a good plan, except I don't ever run the break-in oil over 1,000 miles. I'm from the old school, though. Please tell what your gas mileage is with the Ram. I really like the Express 5.7, but didn't buy one for fear of getting bad mileage, even with the cylinder deactivation.

I hear you on the break-in oil. I have heard people say to drop the oil ASAP, or go ahead and run it a regular OCI. IMHO, from the research I've done, I'm not sure there is really a right or wrong way as far as this matter goes. I decided to just split the difference. That way I make everyone happy!
smile.gif

And will do, I am curious as well to what kind of fuel mileage I will get. We shall see, but I will keep everyone updated either way.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Sounds sound. But forget the UOA's until your engine is broken in or forget them at all since you are going to use the factory recommendation as your determining factory for OCI's.

I understand that the UOA's will be skewed to an extent until the engine is broken in, so I can agree with that comment. But may I ask why forget the UOA's all together? If the oil is still good at 7,000-8,000 miles...I won't be changing it until then. And I also like the doing the UOA's just because it gives me a little insight at how everything is doing inside my engine. Again, just kind of gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Congrats on the new truck. QSUD and the Fram Ultra sound like an excellent choice to me.

Did you get the 8-speed tranny? Anxious to hear how the 8-speed and the Hemi are on fuel. Sounds like a very nice truck.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Congrats on the new truck. QSUD and the Fram Ultra sound like an excellent choice to me.

Did you get the 8-speed tranny? Anxious to hear how the 8-speed and the Hemi are on fuel. Sounds like a very nice truck.

Thank you sir!

Yes I did opt for the 8-spd. Other than the rotary knob shifter, I absolutely love it thus far. Quick shifts and always seems to be in the right gear...no hunting whatsoever.

I will have my first fill up sometime the middle of this week, but I doubt it will be very accurate. Wanted to properly break in the engine....varying speeds, high load/low rpm acceleration, etc.

I think that is a great plan as well! I waited till 15k on the new Traverse before I sent in a UOA.

I also used QSUD as well. I throw a QS filter on though.

Originally Posted By: clintonhutson

I understand that the UOA's will be skewed to an extent until the engine is broken in, so I can agree with that comment. But may I ask why forget the UOA's all together? If the oil is still good at 7,000-8,000 miles...I won't be changing it until then. And I also like the doing the UOA's just because it gives me a little insight at how everything is doing inside my engine. Again, just kind of gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Huh?
A used oil analysis tells you the condition of your oil,that's it. The 25 dollar used oil analysis we get aren't able to tell you the condition of your engine,just what kind of shape the oil is in.
Don't try to read something that isn't there,nor can it be.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: clintonhutson

Huh?
A used oil analysis tells you the condition of your oil,that's it. The 25 dollar used oil analysis we get aren't able to tell you the condition of your engine,just what kind of shape the oil is in.
Don't try to read something that isn't there,nor can it be.

Yes I understand what a UOA does. Not trying to sound like an a**. But it can show you things like accelerated bearing wear, etc...am I correct? I guess it can't really pinpoint the cause of such things, but it at least gives you something to keep your eye on. If I am wrong, I stand corrected.

This.

Also Chrysler did the work for you determining a conservative OCI. The only reason other than making sure there is no coolant in your oil to do a UOA is to help determinate a OCI.

If you can afford a brand new pickup I'm guessing the UOA is affordable too. No harm in doing a uoa when new if you understand metals will be elevated. Hopefully you will use it to guide you towards the 10k mark if it's capable.

At this stage of the game a UOA is going to show high wear metals from the engine breaking in. That is normal and no mystery. Aside from telling if there is coolant in the oil, which you can tell by watching the coolant level where's the value? If the coolant level is full and remains full you'll have no problems with coolant in the oil. If the coolant level goes down you have a leak, take it back to the dealer it's under warranty. Sorry the way I see it a UOA in this instance is a complete waste of $$.
27.gif
I'd save the money from the UOA and use it toward an oil change, we already know the wear metals will be high.

Now after the engine is broken and you've logged 15,000 miles or so, you want to do a UOA or two, then go for it. Follow the owners manual for your OCI you'll be fine for now.

Nice truck drive it in good health!

I ran Amsoil XL in my 5.7 Hemi and it did a great job even when towing cross country in the heat.

Also did well in the below 0 weather in winter.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I ran Amsoil XL in my 5.7 Hemi and it did a great job even when towing cross country in the heat.

Also did well in the below 0 weather in winter.

My 04 hemi ram I used AFE 0w-20 and various 5w-20s. I really liked defy in that old girl.
My new hemi just got 0w-30 devlac. Liking it so far.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Ditch that FRAM FILTER ASAP while under factory warranty! You will be sorry if you don't !!!

There is nothing wrong with a Fram Ultra and meets warranty requirements.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Ditch that FRAM FILTER ASAP while under factory warranty! You will be sorry if you don't !!!

There is nothing wrong with a Fram Ultra and meets warranty requirements.

Yeah maybe but why give the dealer an excuse just in case! Use a MOPAR FILTER while under factory warranty!

Dealers do not deny anything. Manufactures honor or deny warranty. Using a part that meets or exceeds warranty requirements does not equal excuse.

I doubt you have had any warranty work done on your vehicles. Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back